Sunday, April 24, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 902 Kenneth Brooks

 


The 2022 Hoka Hey challenge will be my third Hoka Hey.

 Since riding my first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge in 2018, my long-distance riding trips have increased.  So, although my riding style may not have changed much, my attention to detail has sharpened.  Packing only essentials and keeping weight to a minimum while also keeping my center of gravity as low helps keep handling as nimble as possible.

 I’d say my confidence level is as high as it will ever be after finishing my first two Hoka Hey rides.  I’d caution the new riders to take care of their bikes, watch the gas level and get rest when it’s needed.  Also, bring a road atlas and know how to use it.

 I find fund raising to for the charities to be easier with an organized group rather than on an individual basis.  My charity of choice is the Mile Monsters Inc..  Helping to find a cure for Duchenne’s muscular dystrophy is personal for me as I have two grandsons with the disease. 

 I look forward to the next Hoka Hey because of the challenge.  After retiring from the Army and spending the next twenty years doing explosive and chemical weapons disposal jobs from Florida to Alaska and years spent in Afghanistan and Iraq, I miss the challenge of overcoming hardship and danger.

 Fortunate smiled on me during the last two runs and I avoided the many opportunities to prematurely end the ride.  Others were not as lucky.

 My wife is my biggest supported in all that I do.  Be it the Hoka Hey challenge, the Tour of Honor and Ride to Eat scavenger hunt groups or a ride from Florida to Alaska.  I can always count on her to have my back.    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment