Saturday, April 23, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1055 Kevin Baker

 


Qey! My name is Kevin ‘Bam’ Baker. I hail from northwestern New Brunswick, Canada and now live just east of Toronto, Canada. I will be married to Kellie (20 years on day two of the 2022 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge). We have three ‘adult’ kids and two grandchildren. I’ve had an interesting life and a few different careers (including long-haul trucker). These days I work at a local community college. I grew up on a farm and I’ve been riding pretty since I can remember (mostly little dirt bikes and small motorcycles that I could ride on the trails and back roads). There was, however, a long period of time where I couldn’t ride because I couldn’t afford a bike or because I had other things going on.

 

About 10 years ago, the ‘call of the road’ became truly irresistible. Like many people who turn to riding in mid-life, I was initially drawn back to bikes by the nostalgia of my childhood, the lure of new friendships, and the possibilities of endless adventures. I rode locally for awhile and then completed my first 1000-mile plus, long-distance ride. I was hooked! I’ve progressively gotten into multi-day  and more technically-difficult rides, but nothing like the Hoka Hey. I am an active member of the Iron Butt Association and the Tour of Honor and I use my riding as a platform to raise awareness and money for two great organizations: Make-A-Wish Canada and the Ride for Sick Kids. Make-A-Wish Canada grants life-changing wishes to children with critical illnesses. The Ride for Sick Kids is a charity motorcycle ride that raises money for expensive diagnostic and care equipment needed at the Toronto Sick Children’s Hospital.


 

 

I first heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from rider # 863 Kenneth Andrews. We were having a chat on Facebook about a ride I did several years ago from Deadhorse, Alaska to Key West, Florida. Kenneth told me about the Hoka Hey challenge and I was instantly intrigued. I followed the 2020 ride every day on the tracker. I was spellbound. I was instantly attracted to the format of the Challenge – and especially the Hoka Hey values. I have become friends with a number of riders since and am constantly amazed by their passion, character, and desire to help others. I am sincerely honored to have been chosen to ride in the Hoka Hey Challenge in 2022 and take my responsibilities as an aspiring warrior very seriously. Woliwan!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment