Thursday, April 14, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1045 Tommy Myrick

 


I live in College Station, Texas with my wife of 36 years. We have two adult children; a son who lives in Dallas with his wife, and a daughter who lives in San Antonio with her husband and my four grandchildren. In 1976 I graduated the Houston Texas Police Academy and then retired from law enforcement at a small department in northeast Texas in 2006. I still volunteer as a reserve officer. Since my retirement, I have been a full-time pastor. I also spent four years in the U.S. Army. I’ve been riding since a teenager, mostly dirt bikes. My last bike in early life was stolen, then family came and no bike. After my kids finished college I got another bike and have been riding since. When I’m not riding, I spend my time with my kids and grandkids.

In 2018 a guy came to one of the monthly meetings at my H.O.G. chapter at The Ranch HD in College Station. He told us about riding the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. When Chris Hopper ended his talk, I was hooked. In the next few months, I found that some members of my chapter had also ridden the Hoka Hey; Ed Frank, Bubba Vinson, David Elizondo and in 2020 Lindsey Lewis. Bubba is also a member of the Thin Blue Line LEMC with me. Between Chris, Lindsey, Bubba, and others, I have received tons of very practical advice and help. The best advice is to ride my own ride and not worry about other riders.

The reason I want to ride the HHMC has evolved since Chris’ talk in 2018. At first, I wanted to try something that sounded almost impossible to actually pull off so at the end I could puff up my chest and walk around like something special. Over time, I kept hearing the HHMC is not just a hard motorcycle adventure, it is a time spiritual discovery. Then I met Eric Buskell in 2020 at the Heart of Texas Rally and again in Sequin. He explained the spiritual aspects of the ride including sleeping next to my bike to better identify with the homeless and poor. The way he explained it reminds me of the 500 mile spiritual walk in Spain called the Camino de Santiago which I’ve always wanted to do. I expect the HHMC to be a challenge physically, mentally, and spiritually. I hope to have grown closer to God and that after I cross the finish line I will humbly and respectfully join the brothers and sisters who make up the Hoka Hey family


 

No comments:

Post a Comment