Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 895 Bill Ryan

 


Greetings from Louisiana, I have ridden in the 2018 and 2020 challenges and finished both. Since riding in my first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, I have changed my long-distance riding, looking more for a place to camp or rest for the evening with my bike than finding a hotel. I have built confidence with riding secondary roads, especially at night. Learned there are limits on how hard and far to push myself both physically and mentally. HHMC is not a race, it is an individual challenge to explore your inner most self.

 

If you are a new rider, it is easy to over pack for the ride. Between cloths and what you need to camp, you might not realize how much gear you have. Best thing is to reach out to other riders and ask what they have done. That is what I did in 2018, then learned from other riders since. While I am not a expert, I will share my knowledge and experience with others. Remember it is not a race, but a challenge, so ride your ride. Remember to eat and drink water, then more water, keep yourself hydrated.

 

Raising funds can be a challenge. I work on getting donations through sending out emails, links to make donations. Placing my cause on social media and asking friends to contact their friends to support my cause. Having a connection or personnel story for the charity that you are raising funds for will help you cause.

 

The challenge of the route, being out in the open, see what a great Lord we have and what He created. Jesus is my Savior, but motorcycle riding is my therapy. The ride is time to clear my mind and just have chats with Him. HH riders create a bond that make us family.

 

While I have not had any issues other than the bike laying on its side, (it was tired), due to slow turn or gravel during the previous HHMC, I have wrecked a bike in June 2021. I collided into the rear of a vehicle. Wearing the proper gear is important, I was able to have minor issues, only a trip to the ER and follow-ups on healing. You must always be paying attention, allow room to break or make evasive maneuvers. Know when to take a break and not push to the next stop. Pushing beyond your limits is when accidents happen.  

 

Most importantly, my wife, Laura provides the support and motivation for me to keep riding! While some friends think I am crazy, I get nothing but positive support from my family and friends. I post the tracker so they can follow along and most want to know where all I have been, what I saw and how was the ride.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment