Sunday, April 3, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 842 Chicken Joe Connors


Well here it is 2022 and we are back “On The Road Again.” I am Joe “Chicken Joe” Connors rider # 842. This will be my 4th Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, the start of my HHMC was when I had the privilege and honor to participate in the Hoka Hey Memorial Run of 2015 to honor those that did not make the finish line. In 2016 I was the Route Coordinator for Run for the Wall, a 10 day ride from Los Angeles to the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington DC, to honor and remember our brothers and sisters that did not return from that war.

So how do you follow up a Run like that? With my first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge the very next month.

Interestingly enough the same camaraderie can be found among these long-distance Challengers. It is a personal challenge, not a race – but helping each other as we can – is part of the whole adventure. Integrity is of most important in my life and on the Challenge. Therefore I follow the rules, especially speed, I am not after the buckle or trophy but I figure if I can finish the I have done my best and that is all one can ask. I took a little while of thoughtful consideration if I could come back to the Challenge because of my age, 74, and the diabetes but I have come to the conclusion you Only Live Once so I am ready to jump on my scooter and make the Challenge again. It will be exciting to meet up old friends again and the new riders for 2022. Even though I have dyslexia and transpose 5’s and S’s and make wrong turns and get lost it is still a great ride and would hate to miss it, but I know someday I may have to give it up but today is not that day. There are folks that ask me why I do this crazy Challenge? My response “well somebody needs to do it” jokingly. In reality this something that this crazy Challenge that just draws, not just me, but a very few long haul riders. “Many Hear The Call But Only A Few Are Chosen” to the open road.

When I am not riding , I spend 24+ hours a week volunteering at Freedom Church of God Food Pantry and Bank and Under His Wings Ministry, As I ride this Challenge, I’ll be sharing information about hunger in America and raising money to fuel the trucks that bring in the donated food. My hope is that you’ll follow along on Facebook at Chicken Joe #842 and on my tracker on HHMC


 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment