Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 640 John Ibbitson

 


I had my first two wheel experience at age 12, on the back of a 90cc Lambretta scooter and I was hooked! At eighteen I bought my first bike, a Honda CB175. The next year it was a CB450. Then I bought a used 1966 XLCH and I’ve been riding Harley's ever since.

In 2004, I landed a dream job with Deeley Harley Davidson Canada managing the national demo program. It was always a pleasure to introduce the new Harley models to riders across Canada.

This job gave me the opportunity to travel and meet motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world.

I’ve done motorcycle trips through the battlefields and memorials of  Europe. Riding from the beaches of Normandy through Belgium, Italy, riding the Alps through five different countries and on to Berlin, Germany.

I’ve been fortunate enough to attend European Bike Week in Faaker See, Austria twice. This event draws hundreds of thousands from countries around the world. An unforgettable experience.

In 2010, I heard about an endurance challenge ride from Key West, FL to Homer, Alaska.  It turned into an annual event called the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge and the 2011 Challenge would require riders to touch all 48 lower states and 2 provinces in eastern Canada. I’m here to tell you that those 14000+ miles were the most grueling I’ve ever done. I’m proud to say that I completed that challenge a respectable 35th.

In memory of my Grandparents, my father, 2 sisters, other family members lost to cancer. I will be raising funds for the Terry Fox Foundation. Click Here to make a donation.

So here I am at 72 years young, and I can’t wait to take on the 2022 Hoka Hey Challenge.

Bon voyage to all participants. Hoka Hey! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment