Friday, April 8, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1040 Robert Govier

 

I am rider number 1040 and this is my first crack at the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. My name is Robert Govier and I am from California, born and raised. I have been a History Teacher for the past 25 years in Santa Ana and hope to retire soon. When I am not riding I like to do a lot of different things. I love to go fishing and hunting when I can. I work for the state of California doing Hunter Education classes at Bass Pro Shops and really enjoy sharing my knowledge with new hunters. My side business is firearms training as I am an NRA Instructor so I am very comfortable with firearms.

After hearing about the exploits of some of my fellow HOG members about their ride last year, I knew it is something I want to do. I have no inkling of finishing first and won’t even try, but finish I will, even if I have to drag my bike across the finish line. The Hoka Hey Challenge also brings our charity Warrior Foundation-Freedom Station more publicity and exposure to help them reach their goals. Growing up in a Marine family I know the sacrifices that these folks make every day and so giving back to them is my priority in a lot of what I do. I am always looking for ways to give back. I have always had a bit of wanderlust in me and my mother always called me a tumbleweed because I would roll in to visit her 300 miles away and roll right back out the same day. It’s in my blood.

My expectations for the Hoka Hey Challenge are that it is not going to be easy, that I will find out what my weaknesses are as a rider, and I hope to overcome those. Really the hardest thing I believe will be to pace myself and not flame out. I expect that I will be seeing many new areas of the country that I have never seen before, that’s for sure. I also expect that upon completion that common bond with fellow riders that we share will be strengthened with fellow challenge riders. There is something to say for completing a task as monumental as this. I plan to just put one foot in front of the other and keep going forward.




I have had the benefit of riding with the likes of Ken Miltimore, Chris Mosher, Wayne Green, Mike Reedy, Scott “Cowboy” Hukill, and John Russell who have all ridden the Hoka Hey Challenge. Each one has a unique perspective on the ride, so all of their input in the coming year until we start the ride will be greatly appreciated. The best advice has come from Ken “Chance” Miltimore and that was “save your energy, your gonna need it.” So, I will heed his advice and just prep. I get so excited for rides that sometimes I can’t sleep, which can be a real bad thing.

My biggest obstacle for riding Hoka Hey is my sleep apnea in which I have to use a cpap machine. I plan to get a portable battery powered one so that should make it easier. I will just need to find power at sleeping sites where I can to recharge it and also from my bike. I just need to get about 6 hours of solid sleep a night and I am good to roll. Other than that, I think everything just comes at you and I will deal with it as it comes.

I first learned about the Challenge from Ken seeing his patches and talking to him. I knew this was something I wanted to do. I wanted to go in 2020 but job issues kept me out. I know how hard this will be and will be disappointed if I do not finish for some reason, it won’t be because I got tired and quit, that’s for sure. So, I wait impatiently for 2022 to get here and get this thing going. Let’s Ride




No comments:

Post a Comment