Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1036 Scott Durano


I am a U.S. Marine Corps Veteran with two and a half years served overseas. If there is one thing you can

accomplish in the military, it is you get to travel the world. I had the opportunity to visit 7 different countries
and 3 of those countries 2 different locations. The experience of living abroad at a young age forces you to
mature rather quickly. Upon completion of my enlistment, I began a career in Law Enforcement. I am happy
to say that I am nearing the end of my career with the same department after 27 faithful years of service. As
our Marine Veterans say, we are “Dedicated Twice by Choice.” I am married to my beloved wife; Cherene,
who has been a devoted woman for 23 years and have one son. Over the last couple of decades, I am sure I
have put her through hell and back and I am grateful that she is still by my side.

 
I also enjoy sailboat racing. I have been engaged in distance racing for over ten years now. Coming from the
Midwest, the Chicago to Mackinac Race is the premier event for me. Spending 3-4 days/nights of nonstop
racing in the middle of Lake Michigan, in all types of weather conditions to reach the 333-mile destination
challenges you mentally and physically. On good nights, the sights of the night skies, with no other boats
around offers a lot of time for self-reflection and contemplation. Sounds a bit familiar.
I began riding a motorcycle in 2015. I heard about the Riders Edge course that HD was offering for Veterans.

 
I had always wanted to ride but certain fears prevented me from doing so. I figured, I would take the class
and if it did not work out, I would not lose too much. Needless to say, a week after the course I bought my
friends 1200 Sportster in October of 2015 (fat guy in a little coat right, but you got to start somewhere). May
of 2016, I added my 2010 Ultra Classic Limited to the family. Riding is now a passion. I have traveled to many
states including Rolling Thunder, the Lake Michigan Loop, and most recently Sturgis via Colorado. I first
heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge when Winks Rider #887 hosted a gathering prior to the 2020
Challenge. After digesting the information, studying the web site, and following the 2020 Challenge, I
realized that this is challenge is something I needed to participate in. Life is a challenge itself. Time after
time friends and relatives say there’s no way you can do that, or you are crazy for even thinking about it. One
thing that is for sure though, if you tell a Marine he or she can’t do something that Marine will work even
harder to prove them wrong and get the job done. I do want to give a shout out to Winks #887 for his
mentorship for the next year’s challenge. The Hoka Hey Challenge will again test my mental ability, stamina
and endurance as well as allow me to continue to meet the great people from across the country and globe
who share the same passion for riding and helping others.
Why do I want to participate in the Hoka Hey Challenge? The endurance aspect. This challenge will allow me
the opportunity to push myself to beyond what I have ever imagined. Adapting to the ever changing weather
conditions, covering great distances over time, and learning to trust in yourself to not second guess yourself.
This challenge will allow me to disconnect from all of the technological foundations that over the years I have
become accustomed to rely on and to rely only on your mind and sound judgement.

For another component of the event, Since 1995 I have been extremely active in fundraising for nonprofit
organizations. These include the Special Olympics, Wounded Warrior Project, Gary Senise Foundation,
USMCR Toys for Tots Foundation, Wreathes Across America, Project Headspace and Timing, Save and Vet K-9
to name only a few. The Hoka Hey Challenge will provide a great opportunity to draw attention and raise
needed funding for two programs that I am currently involved in.
For whom do I ride? There are many groups that are well deserving of this attention I support throughout
the years. Primarily, I ride for the Veterans of our Armed Services who cannot ride. I ride for my Marine and
Navy Brothers of the Marine Vets MC and I ride for the Prevent 22 program. An estimated 22 Veterans
succumb to suicide each day in this country. Through local and national programs, the Prevent22.org
foundation focuses on Veteran Housing and social programs, which allow the Veterans to have a sense of
self-worth and have a voice again. By reaching out to them and including our Veterans, maybe we can
change the outcome a dire situation.

I also ride for a local program that has expanded in recent years. This program is called Project Fire Buddies.
What once started out only for the City of Oak Forest, IL, Project Fire Buddies has now expanded across the
State of Illinois. Project Fire Buddies provides support to families whose kids are battling childhood cancer
and other pediatric life changing illnesses. Each experience is customized to the needs and wants of the
families. Every effort is given to ensure that experience is provided while building ever lasting relationships
with the children.

I want to thank the Hoka Hey Challenge Board of Directors for allowing me the opportunity to participate in
the 2022 event. I look forward to meeting everyone in the very near future. Semper Fidelis!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment