Sunday, April 17, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 874 Brian Deml

  

 


A little about myself. Like most, I've ridden 2 wheels most of my life. The only person in my family that rode is my grandfather, he had a 1972 Honda 350….but for a youngster it made an impression. Starting out with a mini bike, then an enduro, on to Yamaha, Suzuki, Gold Wing and then finally joining the club of HD. The Softail was a blast, but not practical for 2-up touring. We settled on an Ultra in '15 and then after I burned enough miles, we traded for an '18.

I truly love this ride and we meld together well….I think I'll stay on this one for a little while.

 

I first heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge in 2010. It sounded pretty awesome, but it wasn't in the cards for many years.

After taking over the family HVAC business in 2013 I decided to make a goal to make it work out sooner rather than later.

With that goal in mind I prepped my family and business, finally making it into the Hoka Hey family in 2018.

I was terrified, not with the thought of riding...which would've been the most I'd ever done at one time, but more with the loneliness. Nights spent in the wild or worse in questionable populated areas. As it turned out it was all pretty much scary and rough….but oh what an experience.


 

I had so many people following me and rooting for me, it was awesome to communicate my experiences with them. In 2018 I somehow managed to place well and earned a buckle, I didn't try for it and it just happened. I don't plan for a repeat, I just pray for good miles and a clean finish. The rest just lands where it does.

 

One of my biggest supporters was a long time riding partner Ray Price. In fact, he was set to join me in 2022 and would've been one of the oldest riders at 82. Unfortunately he passed away in July of 2021 doing what he loved, carving canyons in Utah with the wind in his face.

I will carry a token of his and ride my own ride with thoughts of him and many others.

The rest of my family support what I choose to do…not necessarily “how I do it”

There is always the concern for my safety as well as the loss of me being around.

For me it is a rewarding experience, for them, lots of worry.

 

My charity of choice is the Christian Motorcycle Assn..

I have been a member since 2006 and truly believe in the message and mission that they serve

 

Hoka Hey has taught me what is really important in life. Strengthened my core values and recognize that God, family, & friends are what really matter.


 

 

I can't wait until we roll on June 26th, to join my brothers and sisters in this great experience we call Hoka Hey.

 

Roll well until we meet again,

Brian D

No comments:

Post a Comment