Friday, April 15, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 733 Eric Buskell COEB


 I am from Panama City Beach, FL and own a t-shirt print shop. I also assist in t-shirt sales for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge events.  I saw an advertisement in 2012 about the HHMC and signed up with two of my friends, it was an epic finishing journey…now rider #733.  Not able to ride in 2013 which was to be the last challenge at the time due to work and such, the continuance in 2014 came around with no entry fee and the title “Unfinished Business”...Key West to Alaska. I made it to the start again with one of my friends from  2012, John “Dirtbagger” Levins #735.  John hit a deer in British Columbia, Canada while we were making a good run. After being air-flighted back to Washington state, I continued on to Homer, AK  raising his cut at the finish line.

 2015 was a memorial run year in South Dakota, then as a 2016 entrant, weeks before the start I totaled out my motorcycle into a stationary PT cruiser south of Atlanta.  In the crash one my eyes was significantly damaged after taking a direct face hit into the spoiler. Seventy-seven days after the wreck I rode to Maine to get lobster and see if I could still ride. Now C.O.E.B. “crazy one eyed biker” I finished the Iron Butt Rally in 2017 and separately earned the Tour of Honor “Jack Shalomire” award. 2018 would have me back at the starting line in Medicine Park, OK for the 2018 HHMC with great friend Dirtbagger #735 for our third challenge. It was my best performance to date, then I hit a bull elk in New Mexico before morning sunrise after roughly 9000 miles. The motorcycle was totaled and I was carted to the hospital in an ambulance. I was released with stitches in my left knee and two broken bones in my right hand. The short story…I taxied to the Farmington “four corners” Harley-Davidson, bought a new motorcycle and finished the challenge sixth. 

 2019 I did not finish the second attempt at the Iron Butt Rally due to my drive belt breaking after a rock got lodged in my sprocket coming back from Alaska. In 2020, I was honored to co-host the HHMC event in my home town. 2021 brought about an Iron Butt Rally finish on a 2009 Fat Bob. Now after another four year hiatus, I have again entered what will be my fourth HHMC. I look forward to the experience again as they are all unique. I also look forward to seeing the returning family and new friendships. Hoka Hey. 

P.S. In addition to supporting other select riders with their charities, I donate $10K annually to Panama City Beach Paws and Claws animal rescue. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment