Sunday, April 17, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 875 Rick Mcleod


 #1 How many Challenges have you entered? How many have you finished? 2022 will be my third Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. My first two were in 2018 and 2020. I finished 12th in 2018 and 35th in 2020.

 #2 Have you experienced a change in your riding style since riding the HHMC? Yes, especially when considering how much I carry with me. I generally have a lot less clothing packed away, and only a few essential tools

.#3 Do You feel better about your confidence, are you more likely now to tackle the tougher roads or did you come into this a badass? While I’ve felt pretty comfortable with my riding ability, the Challenge has definitely given me more confidence when riding alone, regardless of the environment. The situations we’re placed in on the road really stretch your horizons.

 #4 What would you pass on to a new rider about your experience with the Challenge and advice that would help them? First and foremost, ride your own ride. If other riders are passing you by, or you’re passing them, the only challenge is within yourself. Worrying about where you are in the lineup can only lead to bad decisions. Secondly, be steady and consistent in your approach. You’ll get turned around; don’t worry about it! It’s all part of the adventure! 

#5 How hard was it to fund raise? What are your success stories? I’ve never had any issues raising money. The trick is to spread the information out to as many people as possible, usually through social media. People love to give to a good charity, and the story behind our ride is very compelling.

 #6 Why do you want to ride again? I’ve only ridden the Challenge twice at this point, but I can say that they were both very different. Each one taught me something different, and I expect the same thing in 2022. There’s also no other ride I’ve undertaken that brings so much to a rider. Whether it’s the beauty of the countryside we’re riding through, the new places we encounter, or the unique issues we face every day, it’s a great test. In the end, I’m proud to say I’ve attempted and finished the Challenge.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment