Friday, April 8, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1039 Jim Hamphshire

 


Howdy,

I’m Jim Hampshire, rider #1039, and will be riding up from Florida.

I retired from Navy (Combat Camera) after 22 years, then County Fire/Rescue (FF/PM) after 10; but I can’t quite seem to get the hang of staying home.

I’ve been riding motorcycle around 40 years now and have rode around the US (30 states last year during the IBR), as well as Mexico, Japan, and The Philippines. I’d love to ride around Canada when it opens up, and absolutely want to make it up to Deadhorse.

I don’t know exactly why I caught the riding bug but I was hooked the day my Dad gave me a ride on the back of his Honda 750 as a kid. I’ve always been the outdoors type, Jeeps, mountain bikes, primitive survival, etc. but keep swinging back around to motorcycles. Judy, my lovely wife of over 30 years, has finally taken an interest in riding with me and I took her on her first multi-day tour earlier this year (Run to the Sun).

I heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge a couple days before the start of the IBR from Hoka Hey rider Ken Andrews, and applied as soon as I got back. It was a long waiting list, but I held out and finally got a spot.

I’m looking forward to the adventure and am riding out with an open mind – I’m hoping to see places out west I’ve never seen and meet people I’ve never met before.

And even though it just played a massive heart-stopping April Fools joke on me, I’ll still be riding the same Pan America I rode in the IBR last year. It has been suggested that I should “name her Quinn” after that one.

Seeing that this is my first Hoka Hey, and after reading about the reasons this event was started, I’ve decided that it is fitting that I’ll support the Pine Ridge Area Chamber of Commerce on this ride. I’ve learned a bit about the reservation, and think it’s a good cause.

Florida Jim


 

No comments:

Post a Comment