Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1058 Aaron Potter

 


I grew up in rural New York, four-wheelers and dirt bikes were never far. I was bitten by the motorcycle bug in the early 80’s as a youth, I remember a motorcycle club driving by as I waited to cross the road with my mother. I was awe struck, the noise and the number of bikes passing was mesmerizing. Fast forward to 2000 while serving in the Marines on a WESTPAC deployment aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard, service members were eligible to purchase US vehicles and motorcycles factory direct. A slow night on night crew led me to me talking with an AAFES salesman and my first Harley-Davidson was purchased, 2000 FXSTD Deuce. This led to a few friends purchasing bikes and all of us riding together locally and strengthening the bond we already shared. In 2005 while working in Guam I once again found myself talking with the AAFES representative before I returned CONUS, my ’05 Road Glide was purchased. Once home, I was having some aftermarket work done, was talking with the owner and two months later I was headed to Laconia, NH from Oceanside, CA with the shop owner. This was riding, I wanted to see more. In a few years to follow, one of my best friends and I began doing trips all over North America.

 

I learned of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge after I moved back to NY 2 years ago. I met a few guys; they knew I rode and would invite me on rides. On one ride in particular, I saw a HHMC sticker, looked it up, asked the gentleman I was with if they were familiar with the challenge and was introduced to Rob Talbett. After talking with Rob, I wanted to participate in the HHMC. I had done long rides, but this wasn’t any of that, this was different and I wanted to participate.

 

My ultimate expectation is to finish the challenge. Moreso, I want to push myself, find my limitations as a rider and as a person. The bike is a machine or the tool to get me from A to B, it doesn’t know if I’m fatigued, didn’t sleep well, am stressed or are simply not feeling it. It alone is only as good as the person controlling it and I want to bring my best self to the HHMC and to every aspect of my life. The HHMC will become be part of my personal growth and I look forward to meeting the HHMC family.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment