Saturday, May 28, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 986 Travis Chauncey

 


Hello,

My name is Travis Chauncey aka Tbone rider #986

I am 50 years old and have been riding street motorcycles 30 + years .

The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge 2022 will be my second time riding this amazing challenge.

I first heard about the Hoka Hey around 2014 from a previous rider I know .

In 2016 I knew a couple guys that entered and was the first time I watched the trackers and following different riders . In 2018 I had another friend and fellow Boozefighter enter the challenge and also watched the tracker every day and night before I would go to bed. At that point I was hooked , at that time  it was just a thought that I may could do something like that.  It  didn’t even cross my mind that one day it would become a reality.

In 2019 I wasn’t even thinking about it when my brother text me and said “hey you see where the Hoka Hey in starting from in 2020?”  ( I had no idea)  when I found out it was starting in Panama City Beach, FL  I knew this was my chance .  I went online filled out the forms paid my entrance fee and then the wait…….. waiting for the infamous call for the interview. I had no idea what to expect . Man what a relief it was for Junie to tell me “welcome to the Hoka Hey! “

I have ridden my bikes thousands of miles but could count on one hand how many iron butts I have done , none documented but I know I have completed . This was my first endurance ride of this magnitude. To ride 10,000 plus miles in 14 days etc. (what did I get myself into?) Lol.

Earlier in 2019 my Mom and Dad passed away before I knew about the HHMC in 2020. 

So the 2020 ride was a memorial ride for them, my brother and I wanted to start and finish together, that in itself is a task. It wasn’t easy as some times I was tired and he wasn’t and he was tired and I wasn’t , but we stuck it out and finished  respectfully at 16-17th. At the start we just wanted to finish in the 10-14 days to be qualified as a finisher , I didn’t expect to finish in the top 20  and wasn’t our goal at all.

I was going to sit out the 2022 HHMC but its like in my blood now..lol when I started seeing people post they signed up again and started seeing old pics from 2020 pop up in my social media , I just had to try and do it again. At least this time I have a little experience and know what to expect. Going in blind in 2020 was nerve-racking and lost many nights of sleep for year between the interview and august .

I will be riding this years challenge for the Mile Monsters Inc. , raising money for kids fighting Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. 

The only thing I can tell new riders is,  this challenge will change you. it will challenge you mentally and physically. You will find out things about yourself you will love and may somethings you won’t . If you get tired rest , hungry eat and stay hydrated at all times . 

I can’t wait  to see everyone in South Dakota 

Hoka Hey 

Tbone 

Rider #986


 

No comments:

Post a Comment