Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1071 John Wuestman


 Hello everyone! I am John (Teach) Wuestman and I am from Eastern North Carolina. I have always found the road to be a place of comfort and escape. I've been through a lot in my life, but the one constant has always been my joy for the adventure that the road brings. I have traveled through many countries and states and I have seen a lot, but no matter how many times I ride a road, I always find something I hadn't seen before. If I am not riding, I am thinking about riding or I am planning my next escape. Unfortunately, I have no time to do anything other then that due to my work schedule. 

I am going to be riding for the non-profit that I am a part of here in the Wilmington area, the Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association® 15-4. Being a Combat Veteran myself, I have so much admiration for the camaraderie that comes with being a member of this organization and community. After several years in the US Army Infantry and serving in Georgia, Iraq, and Germany, I was left injured beyond the ability to remain in the Infantry and chose to leave military service. Not realizing the extent of my mental and physical injuries, I went through many hardships after leaving military service. Suffering from PTSD, I ended up alienating myself from everyone I knew and loved and it in turn brought on unemployment, homelessness, and attempts on my own life. Had it not been for the members of the CVMA®, I wouldn't be here today. Although I am still in tremendous amount of physical pain, I am still going to complete this challenge for the other veterans in my area. There is something we always say to every veteran we meet, "Welcome home." To me, that is incredibly important because not everyone made it home, and because every veteran wasn't always "Welcomed" home. I hope that I may raise funds to continue to help and have a positive impact on the veterans in our community, and that we may continue to save more veterans who are suffering mentally like I was. 

Over my years of riding, I had always heard of intense motorcycle challenges but never the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. It wasn't until one of my brothers asked me to participate in the 2020 challenge that I started to really research it. I chose to apply not only for the peace that the road brings me, but because of the mission of the Hoka Hey to raise awareness for many social issues and to enrich not only ourselves but also our community. I expect the challenge to be just that, a challenge. I know to expect the unexpected, and to adjust on the fly. I expect that my largest struggle will be patience and completing the challenge in a timely and safe manner so that I may return to work. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity to meet any challengers in person, or pick their brains about their experiences during the challenges. Instead, I am treating it like a would any other mission when I was in the military and fully expecting the FUBAR moments. 
In closing, I look forward to meeting all of you and hopefully becoming a part of the Hoka Hey community.


No comments:

Post a Comment