Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1064 Dawn Davis

 


Hello, my name is Dawn Davis- Ladybug, new rider #1064. I have been on a bike since I was kid. Riding on the back or front of my dad’s 1969 Electra glide. He always asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Of course, I said yes! I also have an uncle who built bikes from the ground up choppers, three wheeler's and such. So, let’s just say motorcycling has been in my blood. As I was growing up and got married had my children the dream to ride got put on the back burner, but never forgot about. I had told my husband when the last child turns 18 and I turn 50, I want to get my license and get back on a bike. HD offered free riding class for Veterans and Steve (Rider #954) said I want to support my wife. The bug has bit him hard…lol so now its not just my dream - we share in this journey together and I would not have it any other way! I have been supporting Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge for a little while now and know the ups and downs of this Challenge. I’m open to what life has to offer me.

In 2016 I had picked up a motorcycle magazine and my Husband found an article about the Hoka hey motorcycle challenge. He said one day I think I want to do this. I read this article and I told Steve go for it and I will back you up. Watching Steve and the other riders prepare and reading about this. Seeing the change that the riders have gone through. I thought I had lived fully and with a positive view. But about a month ago I had a bad cancer scare and I sat back and had my Pity party than wiped the tears and said to myself no more!!! I’m taking the bull the horns. I had told Steve I want to do this challenge. I had started making my proverbial bucket list. And this was on the top of the list. I do believe in a higher power. I think this will pull the strength from deep within me. So, I am excited and nervous about this but most importantly I am ready to embrace the change in me.

The charity I am riding for is St. Jude's in honor of two very special Angels who will guide their parents in this challenge. St. Jude has done so much good for the kids that are struggling with cancer! Kids have this strength deep within and they draw from this to get though treatments. No child should be going through this. I am riding for these angels that endure this horrible disease. At least I can ride for 10,000 miles to make it a little easier for them. So, their parents or loved one don’t have to worry about food and a place to rest their heads at night, or a wagon so they can transport their babies easier to and from treatments and appointments. KIKSUYA (Lakota) means remember. So, remember the children who did not make it. They will be guiding us on this journey. And this is for the little warriors that are still fighting.


 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment