Monday, May 9, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 942 Julie Squirrel Nordskog

 


I’m Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge rider #942. Many know me as Squirrel. I’ve ridden and finished the HHMC twice: in 2018 and 2020. Completing a 10,000-mile ride in all road and weather conditions clearly improved my riding skills, but, even more so, it changed my perspective on riding itself. My definition of what constituted a long ride before I ever rode the Hoka Hey is a far cry from what I consider to be a long ride now. Before the HHMC I rarely rode by myself and now I find I prefer riding alone, especially on longer rides.

I would tell a new rider two things: “plan your ride, ride your plan” and… “plans change.” Yes, prepare and practice as much as possible. But also know you will deal with conditions and situations you can’t predict or control. How will you deal with it? The spirit of the Hoka Hey is as much about the inner journey as it is about the open road.

The first time I rode the HHMC, I came in last at 21 days. But I didn’t quit and proved to myself I could. The second time, I finished in 14 days and felt much better about my time. This third time I hope to finish with the cool kids in time for the End of the Road Party.

My Hoka Hey fundraiser is with Feeding America. We raised enough donations in 2018 to provide 10,000 meals and in 2020 to provide 20,000 meals. For the HHMC 2022, we’ll see how far we can get. As of March 2022, we have placed almost 21,000 meals on the table to feed hungry kids and families. If you would like to support Feeding America with me together we can make a difference. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment