Sunday, May 8, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1069 JavaJoe Bookataub

 


Ride 10,000 miles!?! A couple of years ago I gave a presentation on Run For The Wall to my HOG chapter. RFTW is an annual pilgrimage across the country for approximately 1500 riders from Los Angeles to the Vietnam wall in Washington DC to the Middle East Conflicts Wall in Illinois. Towns and cities across our beautiful country honor and give thanks to veterans from all wars. Welcome home; thank you for your service!
After my presentation Tom Hunter, a veteran of multiple Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge rides, and an active member of our hog chapter, said “ So you like to ride long distances, huh? So you ride 300 miles a day on Interstates, you get fed by towns along the way and you stay in cozy motels at night; well let me tell you about a REAL way to see our beautiful country and test your motorcycle skills to the ultimate.” That night I told my wife (and long time riding partner, Regina) about this crazy concept: One contiguous ride, you have no idea where you’re going, you must endure extremes of desert heat, freezing temperatures and inclement weather all the while sleeping outside with your iron horse! That’s insane, man! 

 
She knows me well. She let the idea fester for a couple of days while I watched multiple videos of past Challenges. Then one night she simply stated “So you want to do it, huh?” Hell yes! I could not wait to put in my application. My family cannot understand why Gramps needs all that wind therapy. My non-motorcycle riding friends have no idea why a mature levelheaded man would attempt to do such a crazy thing. Those same people have no idea why I tortured my mind and body to by running (34) marathons. Why? Because it’s there to conquer. Successfully completing several Hoka Hey’s is my next challenge.
For my fundraising charity I am proud to select The Gary Sinise Foundation. After starring as Lieutenant Dan in the movie Forest Gump, Gary turned his life over to aid Veterans and First Responders in a major way. Like Gary, I too, am a non-veteran. But on RFTW I have the privilege of serving Vietnam era Vets to receive the welcome home they never received.  I am challenging my friends to ride along with me by donating 1/2 a cent or one cent a mile to donor@garysinisefoundation.org/javajoe10000. 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment