Friday, May 13, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1074 Carla Oldenkamp

 

 


Hello. My name is Carla Jean Oldenkamp. I live in Texas just “outside of weird” Austin.  I’m a stone’s throw from Dripping Springs which is known as the Gateway to the Hill Country where a majority of my day trippin’ is done.

When I am not riding, I am thinking about riding. When I am not riding, I am thinking about when and where my next adventure will take me. I do have other interests that have gradually taken a back seat to my obsession with riding. I enjoy growing food in my vegetable garden and tending to my flock of chickens that provide fresh eggs. I always have a quilt in progress and other crafty projects and get around to the creative process if I’m not side tracked by my maps. I attempt to watercolor and love to make cards.

On the first day of Feb 2021, I registered for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. Needless to say, I was eager to get a spot as a new rider and was thrilled when I got the call that I had been accepted to participate. After a couple of years of contemplation and asking a lot of questions, the decision was made in my heart, mind, and soul to accept the Challenge.

When asked what to expect from the challenge and myself, I can honestly say that I am preparing to expect the unexpected first and foremost. This doesn’t mean that I am not fundamentally preparing. Purchasing a touring bike, a month after registering was the first major step. I have named my 2020 Street Glide, “Shekinah”, which translates into the glory of the divine presence. Whatever may happen, I want my God by my side at all times. I AM expecting to pull from my past long distance riding experience which is limited in comparison to so many other riders that will be participating. But… I am consciously making all mindful efforts not to compare myself to others but to only be inspired. I am constantly in awe by their examples and what the human spirit can achieve if and when one believes.

Hands down, best advice I have been given and give to myself is to “Ride my Ride.” I cannot nor do I wish to be a follower or allow anyone to put pressure on me because I know I will be putting enough of it on myself. Pressure refines and I suppose this is my big “why?”. I pray that out of fire, I will rise a stronger and wiser woman.


 

When I first heard about the Hoka Hey Challenge from a friend, I thought that it was unimaginable. But as time went by, I began imagining which is the first step to putting your dreams into action. Now my dreams have plans. The plans are setting me up for action. Come June 26, 2022, I am praying my actions will speak louder than the doubt, fear, and limitations that I may have learned through out life. Praying and believing that I will shed off the old and will grow new skin within.

I have chosen Bikers Against Child Abuse (B.A.C.A.) as the recipient of any and all funds raised during the Hoka Hey Challenge 

Godspeed everyone- Carla Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment