Saturday, May 14, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 953 Jesse Alexander

 

2020 was the first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge I have entered, and thankfully finished.  Prior to the first Challenge I had been riding IronButt rides for a few years.  In 2019 I completed a 48/10 in 7.5 days, then continued on for a 10/10ths, with the goal of seeing if I had it in me for the day after day after day grind, and to sort out what I did and did not need for multi-day long distance events.  It was extremely helpful and definitely identified some needs prior to my first challenge.  Despite all this, it still was nothing compared to the Challenge.  The Challenge was far more fun, interesting, and of course "challenging". There are so many stories you will come home with.  Some of them I call "God Moments".  I didn't wreck, but there were a handful of moments that I felt divine intervention was the only reason I hadn't.  For example, during a thunderstorm in the pitch dark of the night in Ohio a tree came down in front of me.  I had to swerve into the oncoming traffic lane with just hopes that I went wide enough to clear it.  Thankfully I did.  Another example was a time in Colorado, again in the dark.  I had just come out of a lengthy dirt construction zone and ramped up speed to get the semi off my bumper, then hit my aux lights only to find a black bear almost at my front wheel running the same direction as me.  I went left and thankfully he went right.

Looking back at my first Challenge, I would have to say that everyone's first comment about leaving most everything at home is nothing but truth.  I thought I was riding lean, but found I still brought too much.  Next time, if it doesn't fit in my saddle bags, tour pak or tank bag, I don't need it.  For new riders, this will not be anything you have done before.  Listen to your gut, it will most always be right.  Take that break when you need it. Following the Challenge, I found riding long distances much easier and more frequent.  I have continued to ride some IronButt rides, but have also been participating in some rallies, such as Hopper's 30 hour rally and the 6 day Junior Butt Rally.  Hoping to also qualify and get picked for the IBR as well.  Despite all of the other rides since the 2020 Challenge,  I can't wait for this next one.  There isn't a single event out there that can mimic or replace this experience! Fundraising for 2020 initially looked like it was going to be a lot of fun.  My local dealership was supporting me and was going to have some events to raise money for my charity, The Dog Alliance, Hounds for Heroes.  Then covid and the lock downs came, which prevented the events from taking place.  At that point I didn't know what to do other than request donations from friends via social media.  They came through and we raised a little under $1500.  Not nearly what I was hoping for, but it was helpful and I was very grateful.  This year we are hopeful for events, but I am also going to be cooking up and selling some BBQ to raise funds as well.  The website for my charity can be visited at http://milesoftexas.com/hhmc (redirects to https://give.thedogalliance.org/campaign/hoka-hey-for-veterans/c294973). I am very thankful to my family and friends that supported me during the event.  The Hoka Hey family made my family feel welcome and it has fostered greater support for the Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment