Sunday, May 22, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 978 Aubrey Stevens


A Maine Native and Marine Corps Veteran.  I am currently employed by Delta Airlines are very appreciative I can take a “brief” vacation to participate in this year’s Hoka Hey Challenge.

While growing up in N.E. I enjoyed riding snowmobiles and motorcycles; my first street bike was a Honda CB350.  When not riding I mainly spend time with family and friends or working on projects around the home.  I am fortunate to have an extremely supportive spouse along with four wonderful adult sons.  Over the years my wife and I have been avidly involved in their extracurricular adventures, Club Soccer engagements and Scouting endeavors.  We have a lot of sideline spectator ship and camping experiences along with many wonderful memories accumulated over those years.

For recreation I enjoy playing soccer, riding my motorcycle, kayaking the local lakes, mountain biking, shooting sports, hiking and an occasional scuba diving trip.  Sky Diving may also on the bucket list.  My sons want to do a bonding Sky Diving trip together.   It has been a minute since going out the door of C-130 on static lines   :-/

I first learned of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from a close friend and rider #951.  Brent was overflowing with excitement towards participating in the 2020 challenge.  The more we discussed the challenge, the unknowns that would await the riders and the mental and physical preparations required to successfully complete the ride, the more I found myself wanting to participate as well.  I enjoyed reading how current and former HH riders overcame adversity, breakdowns, personal routing errors and good ole Mother Nature.  I hope I have what it takes to successfully complete this year’s challenge.

2022 will be my second attempt towards completion of the Hoka Hey Challenge.  Unfortunately, I experienced an animal encounter during the 2020 event five days in.  Those five days were filled with moments on your own crossing vast miles of Scenery which I found quieting to the soul.  I’m filled with anticipation and excitement and are looking forward to the 2022 challenge.

Why do I want to ride the Hoka Hey Challenge you may ask? – Mainly because I love to ride, especially longer distances and the Hoka Hey is an adventure like nonother I have undertaken.  Additional for the genuine lifelong camaraderie among Hoka Hey riders.   I have a personal goal of finishing the 2022 challenge in the prescribed window.  Of course, no one ever knows what possible mechanical, or mother nature related elements may lie ahead of us.  The best advice someone smarter than I provided was to ride your ride, hydrate, rest when tired and eat at least one protein filled meal each evening.

I have chosen Patriot Paws HOME - Patriot Paws as my non-profit charity for the upcoming Hoka Hey Challenge.  Please consider a donation to this worthy organization as they train and provide service dogs to several of our disabled veterans and others with mobility disabilities, helping to restore their physical and emotional independence.  Fundraising for Patriot PAWS Service Dogs (classy.org)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment