Sunday, May 15, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 954 Steve Davis

 


When I interviewed for the 2020 Hoka Hey, I was not the most experienced motorcycle rider. In fact, I had to promise to practice for the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. And practice I did. I gave myself multiple day runs of 750 miles a day where the routes were up to 75% twisties and 100% back roads. I used hand written directions on paper in a tank bag, sometimes having vague mileage between points, sometimes only the turns themselves – that causes a watchful eye for signs. During every practice I had, it rained. I had one 72 hour practice where it rained for the first 60 hours. I was thankful, because it made me think about and prepare for rain, riding in the rain, camping in the rain, and camping in the dark with rain and cold.

One year out I vowed I would make no more changes to my configuration for the ride. By the time of the challenge launch I had changed everything except helmet and boots. I dreamed of riding in the Hoka Hey every night, I still do. My dream became a reality in 2020 when I finished the 2020 Hoka Hey in 12 days 4 hours and 33 minutes riding an average of 840 miles per day. God gave me a good run, and I had a great challenge. 

I rode with my heroes. I rode with my ghosts. I rode alone. I had defeats. I had victories. I fought demons. I saw angels. I got lost. I got found.

That experience has stayed with me. My journey in life continues, and so I continue to learn and grow, striving to be better, striving to be more, and experiencing both highs and lows.

I don’t want to stop riding the Hoka Hey, so again in 2022 I set my goal to finish. I set my goal to be different and to make a difference, to let the minutiae of life pass me by, to make decisions easily but thoughtfully. I set my goal to walk through this life leaving nothing left unsaid, to walk as a warrior for the less fortunate. I set my goal to be taller, to experience life’s pleasures more fully, and weather its storms more easily. I set my goal to be the person I was meant to be.

By riding for a cause, the society we live in can be improved. Leaders are needed to do this. The doctor that prescribes pills has their role, as does the counselor who advises, but it is the person once haunted, once challenged that can jump into a hole for a friend because he knows the way out.

I was struck by a U.S. Marine’s story of doing just that. Not about just providing money to elevate someone in hard times, but a story of empowering a fellow veteran from being homeless, through a process of recovery, and back into the workforce and off the streets. That one experience has been transformed into a 501c3 organization known as Angels Alive Incorporated.

The beneficiary of my 2022 Hoka Hey ride will be Angels Alive.

Angels Alive Incorporated empowers veterans to re-enter society and so much more. This organization makes a sustainable difference for the betterment of society. I've chosen this 501c3 nonprofit because they align with the goals of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, especially in the areas of empowerment and awareness. This organization raises awareness of our deployed service members through the RED campaign, (Remember Everyone Deployed). They also empower homeless veterans to re-enter society and partner with Freedom Breeders LLC to provide service dogs to veterans coping with PTSD. In 2022, they have new goals after acquiring land for tiny homes to actually take homeless veterans off the streets and into sustainable shelter. More information and support opportunities can be found at AngelsAlive.org

I was interviewed by the Human Amplified podcast based on my involvement in the 2020 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. The interview will air as the Human Amplified podcast Season 4 finale on May 31st 2022 at humanamplified.com.

 It will be an honor to ride in the 2022 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge



No comments:

Post a Comment