Sunday, May 29, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1089 Charles Mc Gahagin

 


Hello everyone, Charles McGahagin here, rider #1089. I currently live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I was born & raised in Florida, but I think my inner roots are in Down East Maine where my mother was from. It was my pleasure & honor to have served 30 years in the Navy. Before retiring I volunteered & spent one memorable year with the Army in Tikrit Iraq maintaining their RCIED jamming systems. I retired from the Navy 2010 and have still worked with & for NAVSEA since.

After taking a 25 year riding hiatus, in 2018 I rediscovered motorcycles & getting in the wind has been a great release. Allowing me to leave the stresses and issues of the world behind and be free has been a lifesaver.


 

I first heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge during a Wild Ass Wednesday interview Craig Johnson had with Jeff Riot Wyatt. The whole idea of the individual challenge piqued my interest. I have always been driven by overcoming the personal challenge, whether it’s endurance or internal. One of my mantras in the Navy was: We do these things NOT because they are easy, but because they are hard. I also trained months at a time to compete in two Ironman Triathlons.

I think participating in the Hoka Hey Challenge will feed that desire to accomplish a goal through internal strength and endurance. Looking within oneself and overcoming obstacles through perseverance and drive.


 

The best advice I’ve been given is that this isn’t a race but a personal challenge. I think my obstacle to overcome will be embracing the unknowns of the challenge & overcoming them. So that obstacle, in reality, is the journey of the Hoka Hey that I will be taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment