Friday, May 27, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 985 Valerie Stewart

 


2020 was my 1st Challenge. An amazing experience peppered with mistakes, beautiful scenery, breathtaking sunrises and sunsets, anxiety about sleeping out alone with my bike, a wrong turn on the 2nd day that took me 2 hours to realize I was on the wrong road. I had spoke rims with tubed tires so of course I had a flat tire, in the middle of nowhere. Waited most of the day for a tow to take me 125 miles to the closest bike shop, who couldn't get me on the road until morning.  A shout out to Terry Mac of Chrome Mafia in Cortez, CO you are awesome!  Too many highs and lows to list. Even though I dumped my bike after the 2nd  checkpoint that banged me up enough I had to drop out. I was so disappointed but I wouldn't change a thing as that was my journey and my lesson. As soon as I realized I wasn't able to finish I decided I had to sign up to do this again.
My family is super supportive about this. So much so my daughter Andrea Tooley, new rider #1066 wants to experience this with me. I think we might be the 1st mother/daughter team to ride in the Challenge. I have to give a big shout out to my husband Stew. He stays behind and takes care of the 3 horses, 2 dogs and a cat that shares our lives .Not a small task and without his help I couldn't do this. Who knew a blind date with a Harley rider 25 plus years ago would turn this non-rider into someone willing to take on the Hoka Hey Challenge?
 
I have always had trouble asking for  help so fund raising has been difficult for me, even for things I am passionate about. But the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge makes you strive to be a better person. So that being said: I have joined the Mile Monsters Inc team for fight against  Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy.
 
Down the road from where I live there is a sign at the end of a driveway. I see it every day.  "LIVE A GREAT STORY" 
I am a work in progress .

 
Valerie Stewart 
HH #985
Travel Light, Travel Fast, Travel Far!

No comments:

Post a Comment