Monday, May 30, 2022

Meet The New Rider # 1090 Tammy Colbert

 



My name is Tammy Colbert. I am Native American, Poarch Creek Indian, and I have that warrior spirit from my ancestors. I was raised and am currently living in Huntington Beach, California. I have two grown sons, of whom I’m very proud. 

 I grew up in an off roading family and started riding motorcycles and driving dune buggies when I was 8 yrs old. Riding in the desert I fell in love with motorcycles and the thrill of the ride. In my forties, desert riding was just so hard on my body that I decided it was time to get an easier ride, a Harley. Best decision I ever made. Currently I have a 2018 Street Glide. 

 I’ve been a self employed mobile dog groomer of over 36 years. As a Master Groomer, I do grooming seminars and judge grooming contests all over the world. I love to travel and meet new people. Owning a successful business has also afforded me time off so I can ride. When I am not riding, I go to Dog Shows. I breed, show and compete in all sorts of events with my Bedlington Terriers. I have been doing this for over 30+ years. My Bedlington, Marbles, loves to go on rides with me. 

  I want to do the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge for the thrill of the ride. I’m as ready as I will ever be. Doing long distance trips on my own and camping next to my bike is second nature to me. Plus, I’m riding for a good cause: Warrior Freedom Foundation Station , which is for wounded US Military heroes who have served our great country, Doing this is a small way to give back to them for their sacrifices.I expect this ride to be challenging. I expect to finish somewhere in the middle of first and last place. Not finishing would be something that I would not accept. 

  The best advice was given to me by one of the riders who has done the ride before. He suggested to get a KLIM all weather suit because it saves time in stopping to change into a rain suit. Plus you don’t have to pack extra things. He also suggested to stop when you need to rest. “It doesn’t do you any good if you can’t keep your eyes open.” And….Stay hydrated! 

   My obstacle is that I am a diabetic. Eating enough of the right things to regulate my blood sugar will be challenging. I have to be very aware of what my body is telling me. 

Being a planner, I normally plan my routes for my trips way in advance. Not knowing ahead of time which way I am going will be something I’ll have to get used to. Still, I will enjoy the ride and enjoy God’s country. 

  I heard about HHMC from other HOG chapter members who have done it. They say it’s life changing and a once in a lifetime experience. They didn’t sugar coat the ride at all. And I still wanna do it! I am so excited to be a part of this elite group of courageous men and women. I’m looking forward to the adventure. HOKA HEY!!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment