Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 982 Billy Knoll


My 1st and only Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge, was the 2020 "Momis Komet" Challenge.  I'm happy to report, I was a finisher!  The challenge itself, changed me.  I have much more confidence and endurance as a rider. It's hard to explain, but there is a new sense of spirituality and oneness when I ride now.  I've always enjoyed the freedom that comes from motorcycling, but I now feel it at a different level.

After meeting and riding with some of the other Hoka Hey riders, I am not as badass as I thought, but I think I have an improved skill set over a lot of others that this Challenge helped me to hone.
If I could give any advice to the new riders, it would be: Ride your own ride!  If you try to push yourself to the skill set of another rider or change the way you have always rode, it could be a recipe for disaster! It's not a race, it's a destination, enjoy the Challenge and all it has to offer!  I would also say to "practice".  Go out and navigate different routes with written turn by turn directions.  If you are not accustomed to sleeping outside on your rides, you'd better get used to it!
After competing in and finishing my first Challenge, I have felt the pull to come back and do it again.  I learned so much the first time and look forward to using my lessons learned to finish a little faster, but at the same time, soak in a little more of the amazing landscape God has created for us to experience!  I am truly blessed with an amazing support system including my wife and 2 boys, my family, my boss and co-workers, my friends and my community as well.  I had folks I didn't even know, encouraging me and donating money to my charities along the ride, through social media and messenger!  It was truly humbling and I couldn't have done any of it without God's guidance and all of their support!  I look forward to raising awareness and money for my same 2 charities from 2020. The Van Wert County Humane Society Shelter and FOA Families of Addicts-Van Wert. During 2020-21, with the help of fellow rider and friend JB #950, we were able to raise over $16,500 to split between the 2 non-profits!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment