Friday, May 6, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 932 Dean Luptak


Ride, eat, sleep, do it again
in about 4 hours, every day for 14 days.
Mission accomplished FINISHER with a couple hours to spare.

This was my actual 2018 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge experience. The ride itself was all
about finding the next turn, which was always a thrill, or not finding the
next turn which was deflating because I had to backtrack to find my
error. I estimate 2-3 errors/day to the tune of over 800 extra miles
added to my personal Challenge.


Ran out of gas in Texas by 11 AM on the first morning! Had to hitchhike,
buy a can, hitchhike back and give the can to my ride. Auspicious start,
never ran out of gas again, but very close a few times.

My personal concern for the 2020 Challenge was that Panama Beach
was 2000 miles from home (Medicine Park was only 1250 miles) so I
would be 23 days minimum away from home, assuming my bike
doesn’t need more work at the end like 2018. So in 2020 I expected a
minimum of 14,000 miles plus Panama Beach commute and mistake
miles (I ended up with around 800 of those again).

I was on track to finish the last 800 miles in time to make the party
when my 2014 CVO with 74,000 miles dropped a rod in Virginia. After
an entire day negotiating a trade for a new 2020 Limited, I rode straight
to PCB in time to attend the party. So along with a few others, I‘m
listed as an “arriver” for 2020.


In, 2018 I had overlooked what should have been my most important
preparation-getting my eyes checked. It was beyond horrible riding 4-5
hours/day in the pitch black with cataracts I didn't realize I had. So for
2020 I had new cornea lenses plus new led spotlights which helped
tremendously.


Now for 2022 I even have a new 2020 Limited which I did not intend to
buy, but actually was providential.
I turn 74 June 9th and am looking forward to riding this 2022 HHMC which starts 250 miles from my home and generally will cover a lot of the
beautiful territory I've been riding for years. If I can minimize those
mistakes, I should be a finisher again like in 2018. I do know I will enjoy
again the most fantastic motorcycle ride I could ever take, and
someone else designed the route! I look forward to seeing old friends
and meeting new warriors.


 

 

 

10,000 miles in 14 days. https://hokaheychallenge.com/

Please check out this information and help me meet my charity donation goal on behalf of Yellowstone Valley Black Sheep, HDFC.

Use the attached pledge form or the link below. Thank you so much for helping me fund this worthy cause.

https://www.givesendgo.com/DeanHokaHey

P.S. Feel free to forward this and/or post to your own social media. Thanks!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment