Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Meet The Returning Rider # 964 Ignacio Merani

 


Hello everyone! I’m rider #964, also known as Nacho. I was born in Argentina and came to this great country in 2007. I’ve been living in South Florida since then. Started riding in 2008 and got serious about long distance in 2014.

I joined this family in 2020 and was able to finish in my first attempt. It was really hard but also rewarding. I went through so many roads, some difficult, some beautiful, some forgotten. I lost most of the front brake power due to a fork oil leak at about half of the challenge. Then I hit a deer on day 8 and went off road, miraculously was not harmed. I fixed the bike and kept going, with almost no brakes I had to be very careful in traffic.

Every problem I faced was a test on my will. I had to adapt to the new situation and keep going, I knew the finish line was ahead so I kept pushing.

The Challenge taught me to be more patient, to overcome frustration. When I had the accident and also a couple of times that I laid down the bike I got help from passers by, there was always someone willing to help a stranger.

Tips for the new riders: pack light, drink water all the time. Respect the speed limit, this is about endurance not speed. Enjoy the scenery, reduce stops to a minimum: fuel, food, bathroom, taking pictures and rest.

This year I’m fundraising again for St. Jude's Hospital, they provide cancer treatment to children who cannot pay for it. 

See you on the road!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment