Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Meet The New Rider #1085 Randall Chambless

    


Hello from Huntsville, Texas. I rode a Honda Mini Trail a friend of mine got for Christmas in 1969, and I was hooked. I’ve been riding ever since.  It was 1975 before I made enough money to buy my first Harley and I’ve been riding them since.   By the time I got the memo about not being able to ride long distances on anything but a dresser it was too late, I’d already done a few cross country trips on Sportsters and Super Glides.  I catch a lot of crap for not having at least a windshield, but that's ok, it just puts a larger smile on my face at the end of the trip.  If the generation before me did it with hard tail frames and front springers, I can do it with hydraulic shocks and springs.  Touring models are beautiful bikes, and I have nothing against them, just not my style yet. I’ve always ridden as much as I can, and since retiring, ride more.  When I’m not riding I’m getting prepared to ride.

  I came across the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge while looking at websites in about 2012.  I put it on my to do list after I’d retired, as the work I did wouldn't allow me to take that much time off at one shot. The more I found out, the more committed I became to doing it. I like the challenge of completing an old school, long distance ride, with the only reward being bragging rights. Mentoring to young people that you don’t need to have all the modern toys to accomplish a task is something that needs to be continually taught. Sleeping next to my ride will take some getting used to as I haven’t done it since 1988.

  I will be raising funds for the H.E.A.R.T.  Veterans museum in Huntsville, Texas.  They not only have the museum, but also sponsor a number of outreach programs for veterans and their families.  They have close ties with Lone Survivor Foundation, the local American Legion, and VFW.  The link  is funding for their programs with a description of one of the current projects.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment