Sunday, May 31, 2020

Meet The Rider Harold Chase # 940

I am a returning rider from 2018. For 2020 I am riding with my wife Patricia, who is doing her first Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. After riding in my first Challenge a steady portion of my brainpower for the last year has been consumed thinking about the 2020 Challenge. I will turn 60 years old during this years Challenge and I don’t think I could do it in a better way. I think I will continue to ride in the Hoka Hey so long as I am physically able to. In some ways I am just beginning the best phase of my life.

I live near Seattle with my wife, three kids and two dogs. I work as a kind of one man construction crew in the family business which is residential rentals. We both have scored new bikes this year and are working to prepare them for the challenge. We will have an amazing August riding Seattle to Florida, riding the HHMC and then home again, I'm really looking forward to it.

The Best advice for the Hoka Hey is, “Ride Your Own Ride”. Which sounds simple, but sometimes the Challenge can be to understand your own purposes and goals. For some riders the HHMC is part of their lifestyle, for others it is a transitional experience.



My favorite part of my first Challenge was simply learning to get out of my own way. In the 2018 Challenge I did pretty good on the first, third and fourth sections but was completely incompetent in the second section. Mostly due to exhaustion, sloppy navigating and overwhelming frustration that only compounded my problems, sort of a vicious cycle. This year I think I will be able manage the ride better. Patricia is from Tennessee and says she will help me find my way around those Southern roads; I hope so.




No comments:

Post a Comment