Monday, June 1, 2020

Meet The Rider Julie Andrews Nordskog # 942

“SQUIRREL”  I learned to ride in the mid-90s but hadn’t found many girls to ride with. After a long mom-hiatus, I became active in the women’s motorcycle rider community by networking online and at women’s riding events. When the opportunity arose, I saw riding the 2018 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge as a great way to inspire women riders to do more of what they love and challenge their limits.
In 2018, online fundraising and BADASS patch sales covered ride costs and Feeding America donations to provide “10,000 Meals for 10,000 Miles.” Feeding America is a top-rated, national non-profit network of 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries and meal programs. After the ride, I mailed a BADASS patch to every female HHMC 2018 Finisher.

Riding the 2018 HHMC on stock 2014 Dyna Glide was a challenge in every sense of the word, but I finished. Yes, in 21 days. Let’s just say it hurt her more than it hurt me. I’ve since taken a hard look at everything I could have improved on that ride. Which was…ya know, everything.
I’m so thankful to the entire crew at Taboo Harley-Davidson in Alexandria, LA, my 2018 and 2020 HHMC sponsor, for opening this door to me and supporting women riders in general. I diligently researched and now enjoy great relationships with the people (who cheerfully answered endless questions) at Legend Suspensions, J&P Cycles, Klock Werks, Law Tigers Texas, Denali Electronics, and Twisted Throttle.

             In addition, Countersteer (J&P Cycles’ blog) and Ride Texas magazine have given me opportunities to share some of what I learned. When not with the girls or solo, I’m riding with my husband, John. When not riding, I’m writing about riding.  Or obsessing over how I’ll make espresso on the HHMC.

This year, I plan to ride more efficiently and finish in fewer days on my ’19 Road Glide with, first and foremost, upgraded suspension and lights. Better windshield, lighter helmet, all-weather riding suit, waterproof boots. Better coffee setup.

For 2020, I doubled my charitable goal to provide 20,000 meals with Feeding America. Sales of BADASS patches, stickers, and magnets will launch February 2020 on Facebook and Instagram @womenridetheirown and @hokaheyrider942.

No comments:

Post a Comment