Sunday, June 7, 2020

Meet The New Rider Jesse Alexander # 953

Like most riders, I have been on two wheels since a small kid.  In my pre to mid teens I raced BMX.  Once I was old enough to ride a street bike I bought my first motorcycle, a Suzuki GS550L for $1000.  I rode the snot out of that bike, including my first solo cross country trip to CT, 1700 miles in about 30 hours, and back.  I didn't know about things like the IBA.

Today I pay the bills working as a network engineer.  That in itself is fun and can be challenging at times.  I enjoy photography as well, but what I enjoy most is time with my wife, two dogs, three cats, local HOG chapter and riding wherever and whenever I can.

I am not sure I can adequately put it in words, why I want to ride the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge   but there is just something about it that speaks deeply to my soul.  Perhaps it is the challenge and the unknown parts of the journey.  I can't really nail it down.  It could be that will be revealed along the way. Long days.  Longer nights.  Cold.  Hot.  Wet.  Dry.  Missing turns.  Is what I know I can anticipate! Everything! :) Some of the best advice you have been given about riding the HHMC, leave half of what you plan to bring at home.  Invest in Klim riding gear.  Add lots of forward lighting to the bike.
 I first heard of the HHMC while at the HD dealer in Gruene, TX, the year they hosted a stop.  I have been asking questions ever since! Once I got permission from my wife!  LOL While that is true too, I had been through some physical trauma as a direct result of medication prescribed to me for acid reflux.  Nearly killed me.  It took me nearly a year to recover.

Riding all around the country on secondary roads, for 10,000+ miles.  Not knowing where you are headed until that point in time you receive the instructions.  Sleeping outside next to your motorcycle.  It's insane.  Sign me up!

I chose The Dog Alliance - Hounds for Heroes to benefit from my challenge.  They train and provide veterans and first responders with PTSD trained dogs, at no cost to the veteran/first responder.  These aren't the typical emotional support or assistance dogs.  They require up to two years of training and very few make it through.  As a result, the cost is significant.

One of the things the Hounds for Heroes, myself and my sponsor, Cowboy Harley-Davidson of Austin and Cowboy's Alamo City Harley Davidson, wish to do is promote awareness of the need for tools and assistance for our veterans and first responders.  We hope to raise a helpful amount of money for Hounds for Heroes, however awareness is the greatest goal.



I chose them because veterans and first responders dealing with PTSD need all the help they can get.  We lose too many on a day to day basis to suicide.  Being a dog owner, I feel the bonds between dogs and people can make a huge difference in their lives.  Add in the specialized training the dogs receive, it can be the difference in life and death for some folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment