Monday, June 15, 2020

Meet The New RIder Jack (Daniels) Dressler #961





Born in 1967, I grew up in Edmonton and later in Vancouver.  For nearly 20 years, beginning in the early 1980s I worked behind the scenes as a ‘roadie’ and sound engineer for tours and various other special events. But those days are behind me now and I have refocused my career on building maintenance gigs. As riding has been a passion of mine since I was very young it almost goes without saying that for fun I’m usually out riding. During inclement weather or over the long Canadian winter months you will frequently find me upgrading or working on my bike…of which there have been many.
As a family man I enjoy down time, social events and outings with my wife and as time permits, quality time with our two adult daughters. I’m also pretty good at finding my way around a kitchen and recently acquired a smoker. I enjoy entertaining and cooking for family and friends. When I’m not riding, working on my bike, socializing or enjoying limited downtime you may find me filtering used deep fryer grease and using it to install waste vegetable systems on vehicles as a means of cheap transportation. It’s cost effective and I consider it my contribution to respecting our planet and saving the environment. Besides, I love driving for free!
The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge has been on my ‘bucket list’ ever since I first heard about it in 2016.  I intended to apply for the 2018 ride but shortly thereafter I received news that my daughter was planning her wedding in August of the same year. Yep, sometimes life gets in the way and it’s necessary to reconsider priorities and readjust plans.  But here I am, almost two years later and my application has been accepted!  So “why?” or “why now”?  Life is short and there’s one thing I know for sure; I never want to look back on my life with regrets about the things I chose not to do but should have done; or those I postponed doing while my mind and body were still young enough and able. At 52 I have already seen too many of my family and dearest friends fall prey to ill health, injury or worse. Life has no guarantees and you never know what may be lying in wait around the corner. I recognize each day as a gift to embrace what I love to do and it is for that reason I intend to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. So I’m ready to roll and excited to finally be joining my brotherhood of motorcycle enthusiasts primed to embark on this challenge of a lifetime. My enthusiasm for this ride, the anticipation I feel, and the adrenaline rush of simply preparing for the challenge, “... the toughest ride for the toughest riders on earth…” are real and formidable. Decades spent in the saddle have prepared me to push through my own personal boundaries, to challenge my limits, and to overcome any of the hardships and adversities inherent of long-distance and solo riding. In my world “real” riding means longer hours, more challenging terrain, and journeys into the unknown demanding of unparalleled skill and endurance. Without question the Hoka Hey promises to be my longest, most challenging and most adventurous ride by far. I thrive on adventure, the rush of adrenaline, and the thrill of the unknown. 

I expect the HHMC to be the ride of a life time as well as the challenge from hell all rolled into one. But I also believe I’ve been preparing for this my entire life and that it’s what I aspire to do. Demanding of steel will and dogged determination, this ride will certainly separate the boys from the men and prove to each of us what we’re really made of. Without a doubt the HHMC will be an unforgiving and gruelling battle of physical and mental will, endurance, strength, stamina, skill and focus. Definitely not a venture for those faint of heart or weak of spirit. But I’m ready and eagerly await this adventure with all of its’ potential challenges, obstacles and risks. I anticipate reaching that illustrious finish line with a much deserved and unique sense of pride, achievement and accomplishment. Do I have what it takes? Time to find out!
               

The best advice I have received includes:
·       Having good lighting for nighttime riding and map reading
·       Having a weather proof bag for maps
·       Having a back-up plan in case of emergency
·       Stay positive, don’t get discouraged
·       Pack light but be prepared  
·       Ride safe: remember those back home rooting for and counting on you
·       Just do it…no regrets
·       Oh, and …. Good luck!!!

Fortunately for me, I encountered very few obstacles to overcome prior to joining the HHMC. Of course the financial commitment associated with such a venture including: time away from work, lost wages, and approval for time off were all worthy of serious deliberation. But where there’s a will there’s always a way and these so-called “blips” were more inconveniences than obstacles and fairly easily overcome. Another potential concern was my home location in Vancouver, Canada and the additional travel time and expense of the return trip home. But I took inspiration from the bio of at least one Auusie in the group who refuses to let the minor inconvenience of living on a different continent, half way around the world deter him. I figured if he can do it, so can I!
Of course my family will miss me and I am equally sure they will eagerly await my safe return. But they are also my biggest supporters. They will remain close in heart and accompany me in spirit as I venture the open roads and live my dream… just me, my bike, my thoughts
Other than the aforementioned I’m just spending the remaining Canadian winter months going over my bike and making sure she’s in tip-top shape and as ready for the challenge as I am.
I learned about the HHMC quite by accident, I first discovered it while casually surfing on an online forum. It immediately tweaked my interest and upon doing some serious research I knew I was hooked. Little did I know that my lifelong journey of cruising and adventures would eventually lead me to “the toughest ride for the toughest riders on earth”… the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge
Hearing that the HHMC is the toughest motorcycle challenge out there I just had to know if I had what it takes to complete it successfully. There is definitely an almost overwhelming sense of pride and accomplishment that comes with pushing one’s limits and emerging victorious! Somewhat of an adrenaline junkie, I have always been one to seek out adventures and embrace new challenges. I have nothing to prove to anyone and it’s not a competition with anyone other than me. Having said that though, the more family, friends and acquaintances who know of my intention and thought I’d completely lost my mind for even considering it only served to reinforce my resolve and determination to do it. I suppose a dare trumps personal challenge any day, lol!!
Finally but not least of all, I have absolute respect and appreciation for the camaraderie of the riders, their willingness to support one another, and the inherent potential for newly forged friendships along the highways and byways of our journey.
I will be raising money for The BC Cancer Foundation. Sadly this cause is near and dear to our hearts as I lost mom to cancer and my only brother-in-law law is currently in palliative care.



No comments:

Post a Comment