Monday, May 4, 2020

Meet The Rider Dave Fournier # 900

Rider #900 Dave Fournier I am just under the 50-year rider and have only in the past 10 years started riding of which 7 to be long riding. I am a 20-year employee of the phone company and 15+year veteran of the Army. For fun when not riding I enjoy watching my boy play soccer, drinking a little whiskey, collecting old chainsaws, and thinking about riding.I heard about the HHMC in 2015 and watched heavily in 2016 through my friend who ran the 16 challenge. I had ridden to the half way point and then the finish and was able to see some real long ride heroes of mine. Although not admitting at the time, I knew this was going to hit the bucket list and fast. It had only been since I left the service that I saw such a challenge and knew I needed something in front of me that questioned my abilities. I ran the 2018 with fellow brothers of Post 29 AMVETS Mt. Clemens MI.and to be honest enjoyed more than I hated. We had all to some extent or another put ourselves through trials and tribulations of testing ourselves prior to the event and melded well as a team to make the objective and finish the run. But as anyone will tell you,finishing as a team is a little different than finishing by yourself and that is the next goal I am striving for. Best advice.
 

 If you ask anyone who has participated in the HHMC you will undoubtedly hear the words “Ride Your Ride.” It’s a simple statement that if you don’t know the family yet you may think we are keeping some top-secret recipe from you but we’re not. It’s one of the simplest things to say and hardest thing to do. In a nutshell it means Do what you do. Ride how you ride. Navigate how you navigate. Flex to change how you have taught yourself to flex.No one buys a bike, gets an endorsement, and signs up for the HHMC.All have been riding for a minute and have worked out some things that they do when they ride.Sure, you will come into this with an idea and upon the start it will change but when you give up on your own methodology it can cause some real issues that can lead to you not obtaining your goals. My expectations for the run this yearis to push myself further than last and truly test my abilities and my will. After finishing in 2018 my confidence is high but I think the learning curve is higher. For the reasons why I want to ride the HHMC is the same as last and that is twofold. As I stated earlier, I wish to push myself farther than I have been able since leaving the service. I also want to show the folks that taught me what I know that is didn’t fall on deaf ears. I have always felt the family of the HHMC in all regards works to improve each rider they touch and bring them to their best.

No comments:

Post a Comment