Saturday, May 16, 2020

Meet The Rider Louis Preciado # 917

Mitakuye-Oyasin - "We Are All Related" or "All are related." This is the best way to describe the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. A family of riders with the same passion for roaming the countryside be it stateside or worldwide. It's the love of wondering what's just over the next hill or around the next curve. Always just beyond our headlights teasing us to push our mental beings a little further. This will be my second attempt in this event. I'm considered a Participate from the 2018 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. Due to an unfortunate mishap that left me with 6 fractured ribs, 2 of which were also broken, I was unable to complete the challenge and earned the status of “Finisher”. Earning the award of “Compassion” for helping out 3 other Riders until my mishap answered the ongoing question I kept asking myself, “why wasn't I allowed to reach my goal of finishing this event?” It was just not my time. I was exactly where I was supposed to be to make that difference in other people’s lives and I accepted that fact. I do plan on finishing the 2020 HHMC, but as always, we can't predict the future, all we can do is prepare.
 
I started riding at the age of 15 on a 1972 Honda CL100. I still have what rust hasn't claimed of it and would like to one day fully restore or convert it to a little cafe racer. I pretty much ran that bike’s motor to the ground. I was always dreaming of the day I would be able to twist the throttle of a big bike out on the open road and be able go farther than the 2.5 gallons, or faster than the limited 65-70 mph of my CL100. During the summer of 2007 my dream came true. In July, while visiting family stationed up in Alaska, we visited the HD dealer of Anchorage, “just to look.” Long story short a month later in August we bought my 08 Fatboy. It’s currently sitting at 118,000 miles, which is a newborn by Hoka Hey standards. Traveling has always been in my family's blood. Growing up our family vacations consisted of travel from my Hometown of San Antonio, Texas, to visiting family in Anaheim, California, or family in the area of Zolfo Springs, Florida. My family clan while traveling was 10 kids, my parents, and usually a dog. It was interesting to say the least. The call of the open road is always present. Those with an open heart hear its sirens voices and enchanting music. This Challenge is not about only riding several hundred miles a day for 2 weeks around 10K miles total. It's also about doing something for those less fortunate, by raising funds for charities. 
Each rider is asked to pick a charity of their choice and try to make a difference for someone they may know or have never met. This year I've once again chosen Children’s Hemiplegia and Stroke Association (CHASA). They help children such as my grandbaby, Julianna Lynne Preciado, with Cerebral Palsy. She is the most accurate meaning of the word “warrior” and future Hoka Hey Woman Rider.  If there's a doubt on her being able to accomplish a challenge, she'll prove you wrong by finding a way to complete it with an infectious smile and chest full of pride. Our grandbabies are every grandparents second chance to physically hold our adult children as the babies they once were, although we constantly do it on a daily bases in our mind's eye.
    During my down time of not riding, I’ve been working in research for the last 38 yrs. at Southwest Research Institute. Getting hired a year after graduating high school, I've had the pleasure of working in various departments at Southwest Research Institute. My job offers me projects that require travel, which again works well with my desire to visit new places and gain access to numerous restricted areas not allowed to the general public.  Some of the departments I’ve worked in ranged from geoscience, automotive, bio medical, and a few other miscellaneous departments to my current position as a Principal Electronic Tech in the Space Science Department. I’ve been able to work with the big name industries under NASA guidelines for Space explorations. It's pretty cool knowing some of my work is currently roving Mars and traveling out into deep space. It humbles a person once you realize how small your backyard is, and how big our world and beyond really is. Suddenly what you might’ve determined a big issue in your life really wasn't so big after all. You just made it big by the way you handled it. My motto is " Life's only has hard as you make it." This doesn't mean to ignore it. It means there's always another day. It's okay to fail or fall down. The warrior spirit comes out when you get back up and try again, or learn from it and fix it the second or third time around.

    Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge for CHASA created by Louis Preciado

No comments:

Post a Comment