Saturday, May 23, 2020

Meet The Rider Michael Richardson # 931

I first heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from my father-in-law Bob Stegeman, when he ventured out on his first trip several years ago. I decided to take up the challenge in 2018 and set out on an adventure of a lifetime. Every minute of every day while on the challenger was different, some being fun while others difficult. I meet people from all over the world and built lasting friendships with some of those people. I was able to ride though some of the most beautiful areas of the United States while on two wheels. Throughout the challenge I was able to focus on some of the most important things in my life, god and family. Some of the days spent on the road were very long and tiresome but through prayer and pure determination I was able to conquer the course and finish.
Too often people get caught up in life’s busyness and forget about what really matters. For me family, God, building friendships and getting to see this beautiful country are what matters. This challenge allows riders to see things that most people in life will never get to see as the interstate by-passes most of this great nation. Being able to step away from phones, work, I-pads and all the things that consume our lives and travel down the back roads is one of the biggest reasons for taking this ride. During my off time and not riding motorcycles I spend time with family and friends. I have a loving wife and two kiddos so between, softball, baseball, soccer and basketball, which consume most of my time; we enjoy spending time in the sun near a pool or beach.
My support system for me would be my wife, kids and close family. Venturing out into a challenge that would test me mentally, emotionally and physically I need a strong support group. My wife has been one of the biggest supporters of me during our 22 years together pushing me to pursue things that would otherwise seem out of reach.
Being a returning rider I would tell new riders to properly fuel their body. Proper hydration is the key to keeping the mind and body on task. Keeping your body fueled with good food, balanced protein/ carbohydrates and hydration will allow you to keep your mind clear and body strong to finish the course.
When I talk to people about my experience with the challenge in 2018 I get mix emotions, some say “man that would be a fun ride” while others say “you are absolutely nuts”. But I feel through the support of my family and friends, pure strength and determination it is all worth it in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment