Friday, May 22, 2020

Meet The Rider Rod Cohen # 930

#930 belongs to the tandem team of Rock & Mama, a pair of entrepreneurs from South East Texas who run a handful of small businesses that include food trucks & firework stands. When were not working or riding, Rock can usually be found either in his hammock or sitting at his bongos while I spend most of my time working for the Ladies in Leather Parade & Rally,a traveling all female motorcycle event that we organize.

 Rock and I completed the 2018 Hoka Hey Challenge together after a full two weeks of breakdowns and misadventures. The first day of the challenge we rode hard and managed to hit our 1000-milegoal. A fried electrical system left us broke down on day 2, which then led to a box truck rental, overnight mechanic services and a trip back to the scene of the crime. We were a full 2 days behind by time we got back on the road. Not willing to throw in the towel, we spent the next week and a half trying to finish. Pushing to the point of exhaustion, we suffered through fatigue, wrong turns, mechanical failures,wildlife encounters,tire changes, mountain ranges, and more free-range cattlesigns than I care to count. We rode through the sweltering heat, massive rainstorms, chilly mornings and nights so foggy we couldnt see the road in front of us. 

 I often say that the Hoka Hey was the most intense, yet amazing thing weve ever done. 10,000 miles is a LONG time to ride tandem but I put my time to use on the back seat by photographing and blogging about our adventure. I really enjoyed sharing some of the crazy things that happened like accidentally kicking a helmet into a mountain ravine,a late night wrong turn that led us down running deer alley,and that time Rock TOOK OFF and left me standing in the parking lot not realizing that I hadnt climbed on the back yet. (I had to flag down a police officer to chase and catch him...one story he will never live down.) Overall, our journey was packed with adventure and excitement and some of the most beautiful roads weve ever seen. If I could give a new rider advice it would be to pack less and sleep more, fatigue is your biggest enemy. We didnt know what to expect for our first Hoka Hey, so we prepared for everything. Turns out, we didnt need anything except the directions and a will to keep on going.See you at the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment