Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Meet The Rider David Uhl # 903

David Uhl, Rider # 903, when I’m not riding I wish I was riding.  To fill the void, I ski, snowmobile, mountain bike and love being outside.  I have a wonderful wife, Sandy Uhl, who puts up with and encourages me!  
 Why do you want to ride the HHMC?  The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge   gives me an opportunity to find my center, it’s a challenging time where I have the opportunity to reflect on my family, friends and all the beautiful sights that can only be truly appreciated on two wheels.  On top of this, it’s also a great way for me to give back to special charities that support the military.

 A few years ago at an IBA event I was nursing a cold beverage and having a cigar when I joined a conversation with Ken Andrews and Eric Buskell, where they were talking about the HHMC.  I was immediately intrigued as it sounded like an adventure where I would meet like minded riders.  Fast forward a few months and I signed up and then later finished the 2018 HHMC Good Medicine, and wow so true.  I can’t wait to ride again and see some of my now new close friends. Ride your Ride!  This adventure is what you make of it, have fun, enjoy the sights, meet great people and find at least one opportunity to help someone else during your ride.
 What attracted me to want to ride such a tough challenge is, we are so dependent on our GPS, miles to empty and where the next gas station is along with a focus upon completing miles or making a location by a certain time.  In the HHMC that is not the case, it’s more focused, it’s you and the bike and beautiful roads with virtually no Interstate.  You don’t know when the next gas station is so you stop more often and meet some great people.  On top of that the conversations that I sometimes had when selecting my nightly rest locations gave me a chance to help others better appreciate the charities that we ride for! 

 
The non-profit I will be supporting is The Fisher House.  I am a VET and appreciated my time serving my country in the ARMY.  Both my Daughter and Son followed in my footsteps and one served while the other is still serving.  These experiences made me very aware of the sacrifices that our military and their families endure for our country.  The Fisher House is such a great cause giving our military and their families a home away from home while they are undergoing medical treatment.  http://engage.fisherhouse.org/site/TR/AllEvents/ResponsiveProudSupporterTR-Build?px=1326503&pg=personal&fr_id=1800


 This will be my second HHMC and I can’t wait!  My first was the 2018 Good Medicine and I met so many great riders and had an amazing adventure. My favorite part of the challenge is meeting and sharing with other riders and knowing that for a couple weeks I will be able to just focus on doing what I love, while thinking of my loved ones and my charity. The most difficult almost falling asleep right before making it to a checkpoint.  There was another rider with me that really didn’t know me at the time, but has since become a great friend who helped me get to a spot where I could sleep! I feel like I am a walking billboard for the HHMC.  I met a kid the other day at an Indian store and was doing my best to encourage him to rise to the challenge.  Only time will tell.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment