Saturday, May 2, 2020

Meet The Rider Robert Krauter # 898

 This is my second Hoka Hey Motor Challenge .  I am 52, My wife and I live in Artesia, NM. I have seven step kids and fourteen grandchildren. After 30 year at my job I decided to change jobs and starting all over. I operate a Riding Club in Artesia (RoadRunners) We have done several fundraisers and try to help our community everywhere we can. Before doing the 2018 HH I started getting into the distance riding, I have done several Iron Butt rides but enjoy the distance riding. I have a lot of Iron Butt rides that I would like to accomplish like the national park ride, boarder to boarder and want to do the coast to coast again. I would love to try the 48 states in 8 days like RIOT did for Race Against Time.
 When asked why do you want to ride the HHMC this is what he had to say. I enjoy the challenge, getting you out of your comfort zone, the places you get to see and most of all the people you meet, and the friend ships you gain.
 For the first challenge it was just to be able to complete the ride, this time I am would love to be in the top 20 to cross the finish line.
Some of the best advice he was given about riding the HHMC? Resetting your trip meter after every turn (Most important) Take what you need not what you want, I had way too much stuff on my bike in 2018. For 2020 I will have ½ if not a 1/3rd of what I had on my bike in 2018. The weight you carry on your bike can make or break you.
 In 2018 there were 3 of us that went together, and we tried to stay together but it came to a point where we had to leave one of the guys behind and that was hard. I felt like I let him down, but I had to remember this was not a team challenge and we had different goals. I was attracted to the fact that you're riding all over the country, meeting people. 


When asked now that you have ridden a challenge  what is your favorite part of the challenge? Roberts answer, "All the beautiful parts of our country that I have never seen before and all of the people I have meet though the HHMC.
One of the most difficult trial he  faced on a challenge was the written direction were very hard to get used to.  I would get it figured out and it seemed like the training would start over every day. When riding with other people stay focused on your direction don’t rely on them even if they are leading."


No comments:

Post a Comment