Saturday, July 25, 2020

Meet The Ride Jocelynn Lummis # 1004


  Four years ago, I was terrified to ride a motorcycle. I had been a trauma nurse for years. Then, the hospital where I work built a new parking garage. The only way I could park on the hospital campus during construction was to ride a motorcycle. So, at 50 years old, I took my basic motorcycle course and got a motorcycle. Although I was still terrified, I kept pushing through my fears. In June 2018, Mary Abbott invited me to a Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge send off party. At the party I met several Hoka Hey riders: Gabe Carrera, Rob Saunouke, Debbie Hierrezuelo, Michael Thomas, and Dana D’Arcy. The rest is history

 I didn’t know people did things like the Hoka Hey. Who would ride 10,000 on secondary and tertiary roads without GPS? And sleep beside their bikes? And do all of this in less than 2 weeks? Craziness! Then I tracked the riders throughout the US during Hoka Hey 2018. It looked like an incredible, wonderful, scary and life-changing adventure. But did I have the emotional and physical stamina to embark on this journey? Dana started to invite me to go on long rides with her and others. My first trip was to St. Augustine where I met Cathy Carter, Ken Knotts, and Stephen Janzan. The next day I met Shareef “ReefAssadiq and KSolo. On my return from that ride, I went for a 550-milesolo trip in horrible thunderstorms, wind and driving rain. After that ride, I realized I had found my Zen. Since then I have ridden about 40,000 miles across the country, mainly solo. I love packing my bike with my tent and sleeping bag and heading out. I am excited about the challenges and adventures I will encounter on the 2020 Hoka Hey. I’m excited about finding the strength within myself to keep moving forward to complete the Hoka Hey.When not riding, I enjoy training for triathlons. I enjoy the running, cycling , and the swimming. I also run half marathons a couple times per year. And I love the beach and offshore fishing.

 I want to ride the Hoka Hey because it seems scary and fun at the same time. I want to be able to overcome the challenges I encounter and be able to say, “I did that!Not long ago I never thought I would be riding a motorcycle throughout the US and beyond.But I like a challenge, and there is no quit in me! I have no expectations for the HHMC, other than the fear of the unknown.The best encouragement I have gotten is that I can do this challenge. Over the past two years,I have listened to the stories and adventures of many experienced riders. I hope I have absorbed their advice and experience to make me a better rider. 
 
The non-profit I am supporting is Big Dog Ranch Rescue in Loxahatchee, Florida. Big Dog Ranch Rescue is the largest cage-free, no-kill dog rescue community in the country. This rescue saves not only local dogs, but also dogs in Puerto Rico and the Bahamas after hurricanes. Please see and donate at their website, bdrr.org. I am looking forward to the 2020 HHMC. Hoka Hey




No comments:

Post a Comment