Thursday, July 9, 2020

Meet The New Rider Valerie Stewart # 985

When I'm not riding I love camping with my family. Nothing like hanging around a campfire, stars overhead, laughing, telling stories and making memories. Though I have to say, so far the motorcycle trip through the south west with my son Craig and daughter Andrea has to rank up there as “Best Time Ever.”

My guilty pleasure is playing video games on my PS4. Great way for me to unwind and while away a rainy day. I love big open world games with intriguing stories and characters, Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Tomb Raider and Uncharted series.  Also love post-apocalyptic games like The Last of Us, Horizon Zero Dawn and my new favorite,  Days Gone with an outlaw biker protagonist which is set in my home state of Oregon.  Not much time for gaming these days.

My parents passed on their love of getting off the beaten path to camp, rock hound and explore, with a stack of Forest Service or BLM maps as guides and taking roads just to find out what sights could be found. I believe this inherited spirit of adventure is a big reason being a part of the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge grabbed a hold of me and hasn't let go. I have become a bit of a Hoka Hey stalker. Frequently I checked on the website, watching videos and reading articles of other riders experiences. All the while  knowing I didn’t want to just read of others experiences I had to be a part of this and have my own experiences. These 3 words from the Hoka Hey site, ENRICH EMPOWER UNITE,  make me believe this will be much more than just a endurance ride.                                                                                   I expect this will be something that will change me for the better.

I have ridden solo for the most part of my riding career. I have to thank my hubby Stew who 20 years ago re-ignited my love of riding after about 3 years as a passenger. Although, I think he was tired of packing me around on the back when he asked if I had ever thought about getting my own bike. LOL!   I think the best advice he gave me early in my riding career was “ just get out and ride, miles behind the handle bars are what will make you a rider” and “ Ride your own ride, never let anyone pressure you in to riding above your abilities just to try and keep up with someone who has more experience than you.”  

I have 2 younger brothers and the one just younger than me loved riding motorcycles too. He always wanted a Harley and we talked about riding the Hoka Hey Challenge together. He realized his dream of getting a Harley but sadly he was too ill to ride much and passed before we could make our Hoka Hey plans a reality. He died much too young. I have a small bit of his ashes so he will make this 2020 Hoka Hey Challenge with me.

My biggest concern was making sure I have critter sitters. Mainly the horses, I have 3 adopted mustangs along with 2 dogs and 3 cats. But between hubby taking the dogs and my sister in law, who is not a horse person, making sure the horses have hay and water I will worry a lot less while off on my big adventure. I love and appreciate them more than they know.




No comments:

Post a Comment