Friday, July 24, 2020

Meet The New Rider Don "HYDE" Chaffer # 1002

When I'm not riding, I'm usually working on a motorcycle. My panhead is a needy spoiled mistress, demanding my attention without regard for my time or energy. No matter where I am, I read. I enjoy reading books with pages, no batteries required. I want to ride the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge because I enjoy endurance riding and regard the HHMC as a life challenge. When I work toward a goal, I've always been attracted to taking "...the road less traveled by". In my life, this approach has made all the difference.HHMC combines many elements that hint toward a unique life experience. It's difficult and not small in scope. It puts me and my motorcycle in the position of being teammates. It's an internal challenge being played out over the broad expanse of our great nation. It pays homage to our truly great first nations. Rain or shine, first or last, finisher or broke down; presented with a challenge like this, the only reaction you should ever expect from me is, “where do I sign up? I expect to have my motorcycle ready. I expect to have my mind and body ready. Beyond this, I feel like I’m a new kid among the seasoned veterans. So, I don’t plan to form too many preconceived notions about HHMC. I’ve been told to take my lessons from both the tortoise and the hare. Don't get any tickets. Drink plenty of fluids and eat an apple a day (that one’s really from my mom). Some might regard riding a 1948 panhead for the challenge as an obstacle. I do not, and I look forward to keeping my old friend on the road.  


I have a Brother who previously completed the challenge. His example has been an inspiration to me and to many of my Brothers. I’ve loved riding my motorcycle since my early teens. Riding my motorcycle was the first feeling of freedom that I experienced in my youth. I reconnect with that feeling each time I ride to a destination unknown. I have heard of the extreme commitment required to complete the HHMC. So, my answer to this question is like when someone asks a mountain climber why he climbed the mountain. He replies, “...because it was there.” What attracts me to HHMC? Once I heard about the challenge, it won’t ever be un-heard. In my own mind there is no choice, other than riding HHMC. 

 I’m riding in part to support Ronald McDonald House Charities. This organization has been the main charitable focus of our Boozefighters MC chapter for many years. We support their mission to keep families together near the care and resources that are needed for their ailing children. 



No comments:

Post a Comment