Monday, July 13, 2020

Meet The New Rider Dustin Arledge # 989

I go by Diesel, I’m an injured combat veteran. I was medically retired from the Marines due to injuries sustained during Operation Azada Wosa, in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan. I was with 1st Battalion 6Th Marines out of Camp LeJeune NC.I’m an adrenaline junkie and photographer. I enjoy being outdoors no matter what it pertains to. I’m not afraid of a good ole challenge, I try to rise to the challenge and put 100% effort into it.  

 I heard of thHoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge around 5 years ago. For a rider that does Iron Butts often I know how grueling that can be. Let alone do it for 11-14 days straight. Being a Marine, I understand what it takes to rise to the occasion. After being injured in Afghanistan and plenty of therapy I still find the need to challenge myself physically & mentally. My expectations for the HHMC is to Raise money for HOV & make it to the ending party.I hold high expectations to myself. Now if I do or I don’t is okay but setting a goal is half the battle. For my first year I’d like raise at least $10,000 for Honoring Our Veterans.  

 The best advice I’ve learned about HHMC is to ride my own ride. Focus on me and what I’m doing not what everyone else is doing. Probably the biggest obstacle to get over for this trip is financials to make the run.  I heard about the HHMC from one of my brothers in the Boozefighters Motorcycle Club. I want to run the HHMC for a few reasons. Being told my career was over and retiring at the age of 23 I’ve battled many obstacles. The challenge itself is tempting, just like the Marines not many people rise to the occasion. As a Marine we are a select few. I see the HHMC the same way. It’s something most are afraid of even attempting and that itself is enticing. Being a Photographer and loving nature and scenery pushes just as much. I can say I’ve always enjoyed nature but HOV showed me how to really look at things in a manner it's hard to explain. I live a wanderlust lifestyle and travel for fun when I can.     

 The Organization I choose is something deep to my heart, veterans. Honoring Our Veterans or Hov's mission is to improve the quality of life for combat wounded veterans by offering them activities that strengthen their physical, cognitive, emotional, and social functioning.  Finding different outlets to keep them busy and keep their minds somewhat sane. HOV is based out of Jackson Hole WY. I choose them because they have changed my life forever. Support for Hov. The organization has the right attitude and fortitude to help veterans. They are a smaller organization and I think that helps because all their hearts are in it for the veterans. I won the lottery being chosen to go out there and take their photography clinic. This turned my life around in many ways. Seeing the world in a different perspective and being able to see beauty in the smallest of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment