Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Meet The New Rider Michael Reedy # 1007


I am an engineer living in Southern California.  My hobbies throughout the years include boating, fishing, scuba diving and most recently riding the Harley.
I first heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge from one of our HOG Chapter members when he wore his Hoka Hey vest on a Harley Patriot Flag ride in June 2019.  I asked him about the vest and he explained a little about the Hoka Hey Challenge ride.   The concept of riding ten thousand miles in 14 days without GPS navigation and sleeping next to the bike sounded very intriguing to me.  I thought this would be just what I’m looking for as the next adventure after my previous 9,500-mile ride to Arctic Circle in Alaska in 2018.


For me the Hoka Hey ride offers the excitement and anticipation that the unknown brings.  Most of the riding I have done has involved some level of pre-planning for the routes and lodging.  I look forward to the challenge of following directions down the different roads that are off the beaten path. The sleeping next to the bike is new territory for me and I anticipate the effect the unknown quantity and quality of sleep over multiple days will make this challenge even more difficult. 
I plan to the take the advice of staying hydrated, taking the time to eat well and stopping to sleep when needed. 


 
I will be supporting the Warrior Foundation Freedom Station (WFFS).  WFFS assists four main groups of warriors:
-        The seriously injured returning home from war with immediate medical and emotional needs.
-        Those suffering from post-traumatic stress (PTS) and/or traumatic brain injury (TBI).
-        Physical and occupational therapy patients who are recovering and/or receiving medical care at military medical facilities.
-        Transitioning warriors who are medically retiring and transitioning to civilian life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment