Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Meet The New Rider Jimmy Hopkins # 984

My name is Jimmy Hopkins. I am a married father of 7. We have 7 grandchildren and number 8 is on the way. I own a small metal fabrication business. We build ornamental garden art and have been doing this for the last 21 years. I enjoy the outdoors, fishing, hunting, etc. I have been on two wheels since the day my dad brought my first mini bike home at age 4. I have loved them ever since. I have been riding on the street since age 19. My Dad gave me a 1976 Limited Goldwing that I rode for many years. We always wanted Harley's, but chose to raise our family and provide for them. I went to a birthday party for the wife of Rider #954 and she was talking about buying and being on a Harley by the time she was 50. I turned to my wife as we left the party and told her no way she is getting a Harley before we do. I bought a brand new Limited the next morning. My wife and I rode all afternoon that day and the next. The second night she told me outside of marrying me and having kids,she had never enjoyed anything as much as riding that bike. One year later after a riding class, she now rides her own softail deluxe. She has logged more than 11,000 miles to date ( she had to have a hip replacement in there or it would be more than double that)


    I heard about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge through a friend and fellow rider. He said I want to do this and he started talking about it. I told him , "Hey if you decide to do this I will do it with you", and he said I am going to try.... it was then that I started researching it and what it was all about. Wow was all I could say to him, and yes this will be a challenge for sure. I found that at first, it was to be able to say , "I did it " but then as I started to read the stories and the tales of the previous challenges , I was like what a family to be a part of. To be able to say that we accomplished something the average weekend rider could not fathom, the more seasoned rider would not attempt and some of the very best could only hope to finish. Respect would be the word that first comes to mind. But then there is beauty, fortitude, gratitude, humble, awesome, incredible, challenging, etc. 

    I love riding my bike. I ride it in all weather, hot , cold, dry or wet. I am looking so forward to this challenge because it will test me beyond my current limits. It will push me beyond what I have done on a bike so far. I love seeing the welcome to "The Next State" signs. I know I will get to experience that many times on this challenge. 
    I am trying to imagine the worst conditions and plan for those on this challenge. Steve, Rider 954 and I will be doing this together for the first time. He is a true brother and a good rider. It will stretch us both. While I have a lot more seat time than he does, he has a real passion for accomplishing this challenge. 
    We have been given many pointers so far, look for a church with a portico to sleep under, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, throw your under wear and socks away, lol We have been told to make your stops quick.
    I have not had to overcome any obstacles to participate so far. I am having to prepare my business for me to be away for two weeks. My wife and I have never spent more than a night or two apart in our marriage, this will be the largest obstacle I face going into the challenge. 
    I first heard of the Hoka Hey from my riding partner Steve Davis, Rider #954. It was his idea !! 
    The draw of this challenge for me is that the ordinary every day rider can not accomplish this task. I think it will be the ultimate proof to everyone that knows me , that I truly do love riding my motorcycle. I want to prove to myself that I can accomplish something that , in the grand scheme of the biker world, very few will get the opportunity to attempt it. I am very honored to be given the privilege to demonstrator how much I love riding and covering miles on my two wheels.
    I will be riding for Broncos Benevolent Foundation. Broncos Benevolent Foundation raises awareness and support for pediatric transplant patients and their families. I had the pleasure of meeting Bronco as I pulled up on my bike at a local store. He is a heart transplant recipient himself. He is a wonderful vibrant , loving Christian child. His parents Scott and Joanna Reese help Bronco run the foundation. The following is directly from their mission statement: Our work involves discovering individual financial needs of each family, ranging from travel and food expenses, to paying for devastating funeral costs. We host benefit motorcycle rides, fundraising parties, gather food and other donations for the families, and visit patients awaiting organ transplants to encourage them during their challenging transplant experience. The foundation has assisted in kitchen construction on the Cardiac Step Down Unit at CHOA’s Egleston Campus and currently has a gas card program for long term patients at the same location. Anything we can do to lighten the load and bring awareness to the cause is what we are dedicated to do.  

In closing, I am honored and humbled to be a part of Hoka Hey 2020. I look forward to the life changing experience and thank you for the opportunity.




No comments:

Post a Comment