Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Meet The New Rider Will Azaria # 1000 W


Growing up was a fairly normal childhood with two parents in the military, living in many states from Virginia to California and after 12 schools graduating in O’Fallon Missouri, at 18 I joined the Navy.  I had grown up with dirt bikes but bought my first street bike, a Yamaha Radian at 19, and a few days later with a sea bag on the back rode it from Virginia to California in a transfer to a new duty station.  After 21 continual years of being deployed and overseas I made it back to the United States and within a few months flew to NY to ride my Ebay Harley back to Virginia.  Being slightly behind the power curve on having a family, I was now newly married and would have three children over the next 13 years,, yes I’ll be the grandpa looking dude at graduation.  


    In 2007 while still on active duty I had a slight mishap while skydiving breaking my feet, legs, pelvis and a few other bones.  The doc told me my chances of walking again were slim, but with my first child being 2 years old I wasn’t ready to quit. Plus, I had a Harley in the garage I refused to sell, and after about 8 months of being in a wheelchair I took the Harley on a ride even though I was still unable to walk.  Once I was back on my feet I started riding again and had learned about the first Hoka Hey in Bagger Magazine, I was intrigued by the challenge and did a frame off rebuild of my Harley to compete in the 2012 Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge but still being in the military, I was unable to get time off, but was able to do shorter Iron Butt rides over the years.
    After almost 30 years of service I now enjoy time with my wife and our 5, 11 and 14-year-old children who we’ve homeschooled for the last 9 years.  Between family and our MC there’s not much time for anything else, but this year has worked out between surgeries and work that an opportunity has opened to do my first Hoka Hey.  I’ll be riding for the Navy SEALs Fund https://navysealsfund.org, who’s motto is “Brotherhood Beyond the Battlefield,” which has great meaning after spending a lifetime serving together.


No comments:

Post a Comment