Friday, July 31, 2020

Meet The New Rider Larry Robertson # 1012

I’m an enrolled member of the Sisseton-Wahpeton Oyate, originally from the Lake Traverse Reservation in Northeast South Dakota, I’m a veteran and have four children and have never missed a child support payment! Actually I have my two youngest that live with me currently in Albuquerque NM, I’ve been in public service all of my career starting in military as a Navy Corpsman, worked in EMS after leaving active duty and have been in law enforcement 29 years. Aside from riding I have several activities that I enjoy, I have several drones that I fly and do photography and videos from a different perspective.  I enjoy traveling by any means-bike, vehicle or plane and have been to many amazing places. I also enjoy taking my kids to concerts, the artists that are from my era-the ones who play actual instruments, nothing more thrilling for my kids and I than to be on the front row for AC/DC after driving from Albuquerque to Fargo ND!

Many years ago, my friends and I heard about the first Hoka Hey Challenge and I was intrigued, and I’ve followed each year, hoping someday I would have the time to apply and hopefully ride the challenge. I am a divorced Dad who got primary custody of my two kids and they’ve always come first in my life, but now they’re older, so it’s time. As a first year rider, I know it’s not going to be easy, but I’ve always enjoyed just getting out on the bike and ride for days, no destination; it’s where I find my solace in this crazy world. The attraction for me is that the HHMC is more than just getting on a bike and going; it will challenge me to stay on task, face the elements, leave behind comforts, work toward the goal of finishing and enjoying the ride in the process. 

The words “Hoka hey” have a special meaning to me, to hear it gives me strength and there are people who read this that will know exactly what I’m speaking of. I will carry that as I make my way through each day of the HHMC. I have chosen to ride for the families that  fallen Akicita have left behind. Throughout the years, I’ve known warriors who’ve made the ultimate sacrifice protecting their communities and they’re at peace; but the spouses and children must continue life without them and that’s who I ride for. Concerns of Police Survivors is the charity I have chosen here is the link and I encourage everyone to donate https://www.concernsofpolicesurvivors.org/aboutcops

No comments:

Post a Comment