Monday, July 27, 2020

Meet The New Rider Mark Keating # 1003

I was born and raised in Canada - and work in the technology sector.  I have been motorcycling since the mid-90s when my father and I took our motorcycle licensing course together.  I have two (mostly) grown sons - both of whom have shown interest in motorcycling, and a partner with whom I spend time when not one the bike (she’s not fond of riding for more than short rides!).  If I’m not riding you’ll find me doing one of two things:  keeping myself in some semblance of shape by cycling and running, or shooting landscape photos.


Since I learned about the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge I’ve been super excited by the idea of participating.  The low-tech, old-school format of the challenge is one of the key reasons I’m interested.  By limiting the use of technology, and requiring riders to live rough with their bike, the HHMC ensures the focus of the event is on testing the capabilities and stamina of the rider and his/her bike. The only thing of which I’m sure is that the HHMC will be test of my stamina and capabilities as a rider.  As with all Hoka Hey participants, I have a lot of miles in the saddle.  In spite of that experience, the HHMC is sure to be the most challenging single event that I will have attempted.  The combination of distance, low-tech format, and requirement to sleep rough with the bike will combine to test my (and the other participants) limits. I met a few Hoka Hey finishers at an Iron Butt Association get-together in 2016.  Sharing a few drinks with them, I learned everything I could about the event.  Ever since, I have been fascinated by the event, and planning on riding the challenge.
The HHMC is, even in the sphere of long-distance motorcycling, quite unique.  Even so, the best advice I have received has been a reminder of the most common sense LD motorcycling basics - stay hydrated, eat healthy foods, get sufficient rest to ride safely, and, perhaps most importantly, never pass gas. To date, my biggest challenge is simply prepping myself and my bike for the rigours of the HHMC.   I am undertaking a more rigorous exercise program in anticipation of the test of my physical endurance over 10+ long days in the saddle.  I am, as well, working through the basic and more in-depth maintenance of my bike - inspecting, upgrading or replacing all the major systems.  Hopefully those actions will help me successfully fulfill the challenge come August 2020.





In virtually all areas of our lives, modern comforts and technology have taken the “challenge” out of what we do.  What really attracted me to the Hoka Hey Challenge was the format of the event - the core test of a riders’ stamina and endurance, the limits on modern technology, and the requirement for riders to sleep rough with their bike.  I have, and continue to, try to push my limits.  The HHMC will be the biggest test of my capabilities I will have attempted on a motorcycle.


I have partnered with a charity called ShelterBox for the 2020 Challenge.  ShelterBox is an international disaster relief organization that hand-delivers emergency shelter and the tools families need to self-recover after natural disasters and conflict around the world. Recovery starts with shelter. Having somewhere dry and warm to sleep, to prepare meals and be with your family, is vital for starting the long process of recovery.  I chose to work with  for a couple key reasons:  Primarily, I believe there is an accelerating need to support people as humanitarian and natural disasters become more more frequent and hard hitting!  The basic, focused and quick response that Shelterbox can execute in the face of such disasters is worthy of my support.  And more practically, Shelterbox was able to be flexible in working with me - linking up local pages for potential donors in Canada, the USA, and the UK - ensuring donors can get the appropriate tax receipt when supporting my fundraising effort! 

No comments:

Post a Comment