Sunday, July 15, 2018

Meet The New Rider Courtnye Nix #947





In the fall of 2015, I was a new rider.  I had joined a Facebook page for Female Motorcycle Riders for knowledge and support.  One of the ladies in the group was talking about this amazing journey she was preparing to go on in 2016.  I started following her as she set out on what I thought was a crazy, unbelievable, never-would-I-have-that-kind-of-courage, journey.  I watched each day, waiting for her to post updates on her trials she had overcome, and there were many.  I was utterly mesmerized by her strength and determination to complete such a demanding challenge.  A few months later I was at a ladies rally enjoying a lovely chat with a lady when we finally got around to introducing ourselves.  Low-and-behold, it was her, my warrior woman, Junie Rose, in person.  I expressed my joy in meeting her and how I wished to have her strength and courage to complete something like the Hoka Hey Challenge.  I explained to her that I had Multiple Sclerosis and something like the Hoka Hey was beyond what I thought I could do physically.  She laughed and told me I could do this, she believed in me.  From that moment on I started thinking about what I could do to join her.  How could I prepare, what did I need to do to join her on the next challenge?


Over the next two years, I went from riding a few hours a week, just around town to riding every day.  Soon, my first overnight trip and later on, to several weeks and thousands of miles on the road at a time.  The more I did, the more excited I became.  By pushing myself, confidence grew organically.  Everything I did became about training to make it possible.  One afternoon, just a few months ago, I received a message from her asking if I was up for the challenge.  My answer: YES, yes I am!


I have to say that I never thought my world would revolve around riding my motorcycle.  I have always involved myself with veteran and military, first responders, children and homeless charities.  I did not realize how involved and gracious motorcycle riders are with such charities and as such have been blessed to combine my passions for raising awareness, funds and support all while riding.  I also enjoy mentoring new lady riders and helping them build their skills and confidence.
I am so thankful for all the support and love I have received while preparing for this journey.  Gruene Harley Davidson is graciously sponsoring my trip.  My husband, KC, is my number one fan, my voice of reason, and always there to support all of my crazy.  Our kids are over-the-moon excited for me.  My sister riders have been an invaluable asset, tracking me on all my adventures, always ready with words of encouragement and bits of advice.  In all, I am most thankful for the Hoka Hey Challenge and Junie Rose for sharing her experience.  Without them, I never would have realized that the only limits I have are the ones I place on myself.


I dedicate this ride to all the ladies out there who have dreams of bigger things but feel they will never be able to achieve them.  My goal is to encourage them to take that leap, push yourself, and find your joy.  You can make big things happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment