Friday, July 13, 2018

Meet The New Rider Robert Goffinski # 939

Hello, my name is Robert Goffinski, but please call me Gopher as most of my friends do. Last December I turned 70 years old and wanted to celebrate the occasion by planning an epic trip for the summer. I had purchased a 2018 Ultra Low as a birthday and Christmas present and just needed a destination for the summer ride. In January, while at a HOG meeting some fellow members were mentioning the Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge. I had seen Hoka Hey riders at the Moonshine Lunch Run back in April of 2017 and was curious what Hoka Hey was all about. As the conversation went on it heightened my interest to the point that once I was home I researched the website and I decided to “take the challenge.”



Being retired, I occupy my time with many hobbies and interests. I enjoy being creative making many things most people would purchase from a merchant. I make furniture, silkscreen, collect stamps and coins and run an E-Bay store. I enjoy golf, fishing and bowling but my major pastime involves my motorcycling. I have been a major leader in the motorcyclists’ rights movement in my home state of Illinois and in Washington, D.C. I have held elected office and worked in many campaigns, local, state and national. After retiring from 45 years as an electrician, my wife and I moved to farmland country and cornfields of DeKalb County. After the move we spent much of our time remodeling our new home all by ourselves. Although maintenance of our home and family takes up quite a bit of our time we always set aside time for a six to eight thousand mile trip in late summer. Together my wife and I have traveled to all 49 states and from Quebec to British Columbia and the Yukon.



I enjoy doing new and exciting things, sometimes dangerous things, but hey, you want to live forever? The Hoka Hey motorcycle challenge was truly something new and exciting for me.  I’ve always been able to ride and or drive long distances and I felt quite confident that I could do 800 to 1000 miles a day, however the question is, can I do it for days in a row.  I look forward to this being a new and exciting adventure.



Physically I’ve been blessed with good health and very few limitations.  God knows how long this will continue so this is why I had seized this moment, this time to accept the challenge.  Mentally I feel confident I can complete this event just as well as any other rider.  I truly believe attitude has everything to do with success and I don’t like to put limitations on my abilities.  Financially one could always use more money.  I’m trying to nail down a sponsor who could help me with some of the fiscal responsibilities but I’m full ready to bear the monetary obligations on my own.



A number of my friends have been very supportive and wished me well.  They are excited to be able to track me over the Internet while on the challenge.  My local Harley Davidson dealer whom I approached to sponsor me was also excited about the event and my participation. He is ready to sponsor me but he has to get permission from higher up the corporate ladder to do so.  I am holding out hope that the corporate bosses will consent to allow him sponsor me.



Perhaps the biggest obstacle of this challenge has been putting my wife and ease about the event.  She, along with others, thinks I’m crazy to do this at seven years old however those same individuals have told me that if any one can do this at 70 years old, I can.  Another hurdle I have to get over is what to pack what not to pack.  I want to be prepared for any unseen circumstance but then again I don’t want to bring too much, especially unnecessary items. 






I have not really received any enlightening words of advice from anyone other than logical tips on staying awake, which they see as being the biggest challenge.  Of course the usual make sure your bike is road worthy is always mentioned, but in the end, the closing comment is something about questioning my sanity.



This event is one of those that separate the men from the boys, the weekend warriors and the true dedicated motorcycle riders.  These Hoka Hey motorcycle challengers are ready to “walk the walk”, to ride ride, and I want to be among them.



I am using this event to raise money for the Disabled American Veterans organization (DAV) and the Christian Motorcyclists Association (CMA) youth ministries.  With the increasing number of veterans returning from combat with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) the DAV provides needed services helping our veterans successfully make that transition back to civilian life.  As God is slowly being removed from our founding fathers America, the CMA is keeping God alive in the motorcycle community. Their work helping young people, the future of America, to be comfortable with their fate or being exposed to the present of God, is a valued contribution to this great country’s future.  Donations to either of these worthy organizations can be made on a secure web site created for this purpose. http://squareup.com/store/gophers-dav-cma-hoka-hey-fundraiser.



I have been extremely possessed with “the Challenge” since January and for me July 15, 2018 can’t come so enough. It will be “Good Medicine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment